Home Forums Briggs & Stratton 4-Cycle Racing Briggs LO206 Burris 5 degree mount slipping

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  tony zambos 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

William Weiler
    Participant

I tried my new Tony Kart 401s yesterday at MBK for the first time. After 10 laps my chain came off. In the pits I see the motor mount slipped. It seems to be the model I mentioned in the topic. There are only 2 bolts holding the plates together. The nut on the top bolt dug a shallow channel in the aluminum as it slipped sideways. I don’t think my builder made a mistake, the nuts were plenty tight. I think just 2 nuts is not going to cut it. The aluminum is dished so there are not obvious places to drill and tap. What can I do? My builder didn’t give me the other bolts that came with the mount (if he has them).

TonyKart 401s LO206
    Morgan Hill, CA

tony zambos
    Participant

Glad you made onto the track.

The two bolts that hold the engine plate to the base plate should be sufficient. Are you using the engine stop on the chassis and how much slack in the chain do you start out with? Pick a spot have way between your gears and measure the total deflection of the chain. About 20mm show be good. Also rotate the axle 90 degrees and check again. Keep checking for a full rotation of the axle gear. Could your rear gear be damaged or misaligned?
    Try reaching out to Burris, either on FB or by phone, (714) 375-3500.

LAD Specialties / tony kart / rotax / kt100

William Weiler
    Participant

I checked the whole Kart over before I drove it. The chain slack and alignment were good. The engine rotated on the back bolt. The engine clearly slipped to an angle and the front nut had dug through the plate aluminum as the engine pivoted. Also, the clutch nut was in contact with the seat. When I separated the plates there was significant oil between them, that probably contributed to them slipping. Just cranking the nuts again though, I feel, won’t fix it.

TonyKart 401s LO206
    Morgan Hill, CA

William Weiler
    Participant

I think this isn’t a common problem because, besides having a lot of offset because I am using a Tony Kart, I have an XL Tillet seat which pushes the motor even more to the right off the Kart. I’ve read online and even the Briggs document -“16 things not to do”. It says too much offset is bad. One solution is just to buy a 1/2″ plate of aluminum and cut it and drill it and use it as a custom top plate.

TonyKart 401s LO206
    Morgan Hill, CA

tony zambos
    Participant

Do what you have to do to make your engine/chassis combo work. Make the plate or investigate an alternative mount. Can the engine be moved forward or backwards to eliminate the interference?

William Weiler
    Participant

The Briggs “16 common mistakes” says use no more than 3/4″ offset. I measured the offset my builder used, it is 1 3/4″. Because it was offset so far, only the 2 most left bolts holes would let a bolt through. Doubly screwed, offset 1″ too far  and only 2 bolts of the 6 bolt holes used. No wonder it slipped. The inexpensive choice is to get a 3/4″ plate and drill it. I will go to Gorilla Metals or REM tomorrow.

TonyKart 401s LO206
    Morgan Hill, CA

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Can you get the engine farther to the left? The chain guard should be right up against the seat strut. Trim some off the chain guard if you can. From the chain to the edge of the chain guard it could be 1/2″ minimum. With 1-3/4″ offset, how do you get the sprocket far enough to the right?

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

William Weiler
    Participant

I ended up making a top mount out of 3/4″ aluminum. I can’t seem to attach a photo.

TonyKart 401s LO206
    Morgan Hill, CA

tony zambos
    Participant

Posting an image is a little involved. You’ll need to have a web site to store your picture and use a link in your post back to the picture server. See the FAQ’s under the Forum tab.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication