Home Forums General Karting Discussion Brake pads

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  tony zambos 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

William Weiler
    Participant

My brake pads are wearing different top to bottom. I don’t have the Kart where I can look at it, I am not sure if I saw the top or bottom was thinner. Is it normal for the pads to wear unevenly from top to bottom, or do I have a problem? I am used to car and motorcycle pads. Kart pads seem to wear much faster.

TonyKart 401s LO206
    Masters Class
    Morgan Hill, CA

tony zambos
    Participant

As you probably suspect, this wear is not normal. They should be wearing evenly. Are these the pads that came with the kart and have you done anything to the brake system?
    Because there is one piston per side, the pads should be pushed straight in. Replace the pads and the special bolt that goes through them. Look for any issues with the caliper during the replacement that would prevent the pads from moving in straight and that both pistons are functioning. Center the rotor between the pads when your done. Acquire a brake bleeder and brake fluid. Believe you have an EVK and that should have DOT 5 brake fluid in it. Unscrew the brake reservoir caps and if the fluid looks purple, it’s DOT5. Between three day race weekends, I bleed our brakes.
    Now, watch the wear pattern.
    FYI – Rebuilding the master cylinder and the caliper is fairly simple. Bleeding them can be a pain.

LAD Specialties / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication