Home Forums 2-Cycle Racing Blend vs Castor in Komet 100cc

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Steve O’Hara 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

John Gay
    Participant

We’ve been mixing Castor with Sunoco 110 leaded in our race series.  Well, we were given several bottles of Blend but have never used it in those engines and are reluctant to use it instead of the usual Castor.  Is it ok/safe to run the Blend, or should we just pass it along to someone else?

thanks!

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Mix the blend 1/2 and 1/2 with the castor and you’re good to go.

Gif

Tim Koyen
    Participant

I always ran all castor, because my builder said it makes the most power, but it doesn’t hurt to mix it 50/50 like Giff said.  Some people run it that way all the time.  Blend is mostly synthetic, so it burns with less carbon build up.  I’ve heard of people racing the castor and practicing with blend to keep the carbon build up down.  Either works.

brian downing
    Participant

I use 100% synthetic exclusively, generally sticking with a 30:1 ratio.
    Castor has historically been used for it’s superior lubricity, but I believe that modern synthetics have certainly equaled if not surpassed castor.

Castor is also a vegtable oil and will spoil like any other cooking oil so if you do elect to stick with castor buy it in small quantities, as needed and never leave it sitting on the shelf for extended periods.

My motors are clean, well lubricated, with much less oil smoke.

The only motor I’ve ever ruined was leaned to the point it detonated and imploded.

The one thing I can say about castor is that it smells great. I love the smell of castor!

Brian Wilhelm
    Participant

brian downing wrote:
    I use 100% synthetic exclusively, generally sticking with a 30:1 ratio.
    Castor has historically been used for it’s superior lubricity, but I believe that modern synthetics have certainly equaled if not surpassed castor. Castor is also a vegtable oil and will spoil like any other cooking oil so if you do elect to stick with castor buy it in small quantities, as needed and never leave it sitting on the shelf for extended periods. My motors are clean, well lubricated, with much less oil smoke. The only motor I’ve ever ruined was leaned to the point it detonated and imploded. The one thing I can say about castor is that it smells great. I love the smell of castor!

Simply not true.

So far, no synthetic oil manufacturer will make the claim that synthetic oil will perform better than castor, mostly because it will not.                                      Castor will not “spoil”. Certain parts may precipitate out over very long periods, but will easily re-blend. Exposing castor to temps below 20deg can harm certain castor formulation

Steve O’Hara
    Participant

I recommend Burris Castor at 16/1 ratio for general use. Will increase oil to 12/1 ratio for maximum performance and protection in race motors that get rebuilt often. The only reason you would ever want less oil is if you have trouble fouling plugs or have problems with the ring sticking. Oil is the life blood of a racing engine… don’t starve it!

Steve O’Hara

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.