Home Forums Tech Talk Bleeding Brakes Margay

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Paul Hir 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Paul Hir
    Participant

Hi all recently got a 04-06 1.4 Margay with MCP brakes, what is the trick in bleeding these brakes? I have a brake bleeder tool, just wondering if there are any secrets with bleeding these brakes.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

If your tool fits the threads you can use it but, MCP has a reservoir so you don’t need a brake bleeding tool.

Without the tool: fill reservoir, press pedal, open bleed screw until pedal bottoms, close bleed screw, release pedal, repeat until all air is removed.

Remember air bubbles go up so, make the bleed screw the highest point in the system.

Make darn sure you know what brake fluid your system takes. Most MCP take DOT5 but I don’t know what they’ve got on the Margay.

Also put a new roll pin and cotter that holds the lever in the master cylinder if you want to live.

Gif

tony zambos
    Participant

Paul,
    AS far as I know, there aren’t any secrets to bleeding brakes. If there are, if someone posts them, they won’t be secrets. Make sure you have the proper type of brake fluid for your kart, i.e. Dot 3 or 4 or 5. Fill the brake bleeder tool, screw it into the master cylinder and open the valve on the tool. Put a foot long piece of clear tubing on the bleeder valve that is the highest and farthest away from the MC. Open the bleeder and drain the he fluid into a container until the air bubbles on longer appear in the clear tubing.
    Close the bleeder and remove the bleeder tool and replace the cap where the bleeder was installed. Try the brake pedal. It should have a solid feeling. If not, repeat the process. Dispose the old brake fluid responsibly.
    TIPS; If you have reservoirs on top of the MC, leave the caps on them. If your bleeder tool has a cap, leave it off. For front brakes, bleed the brake closest to the MC and then the farthest one.

P.S. do what Gif says

Paul Hir
    Participant

I have bleed brakes for most Euro karts, I have never seen a bleeding nipple similar to what you see on a car, typically in the brakes I run there just screws.  I wasn’t sure if using a vacuum bleeder kit would be better.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.