Home Forums Shifter Karts Big and Tall

This topic contains 7 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Joe Johnson 11 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Richard Stokes
    Participant

Unfortunately I am a big guy in a small guys sport. I run with a group that does NOT have weight groups. I am at 220 and 6ft 1in. I run a 2013 CRG with a Honda 125 shifter. No question that most drivers are in the 150 to 180 lb range.

Is there any gearing (motor or axel) that I can do to help me keep up. We run only on road course tracks of 1.5 to 2 miles. Most do not have long straits. Say they are running a 17/22. I know, but it will not come off the driver.

andy-graham
    Participant

two words — PIT SABOTAGE

Good Luck

Michael Boone
    Participant

Richard I’m a big guy also 6’2″ 220 and it’s true we are to big to take full advantage of karting “But” you can work on your race craft that will get you closer. I’ve tried different gears  and you’ll suffer up top or on the bottom . I don’t road race so it could be different but I gear for a little more top end  because I’m better/Faster in the tighter stuff I loose on the striaghts and get it back in the turns. If I’m clean and carry as much speed as possible even with a shifter.

I did a challange in rental karts 2 weeks ago on a pretty tight track I had the 13th Fastest  qual timeout of 36 drivers I was the biggest of all the drivers. I tried to be as smooth as possible and didn’t over brake. A 6th and two 3rds in the heats. My team mates didn’t do as well so finish not so good. :(

I run a KZ kart and the power is different but when your 40lb heavier than the rest there really isn’t alot you can do that 40-50 puts you  a second and a half off the leaders.

Try and find a gear you feel comfortable with and work on your race craft and be smooth don’t over work the chassis let it do it’s job. A very good driver once told me drive like your the only one on the track and it dosen’t matter ! you’ll go faster when your calm and not forcing  yourself.

Good luck !!

Michael

Larry Andrews
    Participant

Same here.  One thing I’ve learned is that weight balance can often be a problem – we have more weight further back and that overloads the chassis.  For me, moving weight forwards was necessary to get things to just start to work properly…

Brian Degulis
    Participant

The first thing you should do is get the kart scaled and see how your weight distribution is. If you find your heavy in the rear then consider getting a front porch extension for your kart. That will alow you to move the seat further forward and shift weight forward. Then basic chassis adjustments and possibly diffrent tires or combinations of diffrent tires front/rear might be usefull. Weight is a big big deal and it’s hard to compete when other karts are much lighter so all you can do is try to use the aditional weight where you can.

Brian

Ray Lovestead
    Participant

Cut off your left leg right at the hip.  This will reduce braking and thus increase your speed upon turn in.  It will reduce your weight by approximately 15% and thus improve your chances to compete.  I found it very important to re-scale the kart as the balance will be significantly off.

Alternatively, you can cut off the right leg and simply pin the gas pedal on permanently.  This is a little better for kart balance as the engine is on the right side.

Good Luck!

Paul Hir
    Participant

What have you done to reduce the weight on your kart? Do you have any Carbon Fiber products? take a look at the weight of all the bolts you are using and see if there is anything lighter. Are there any heavy classes in your area? you may want to consider changing classes.

Joe Johnson
    Participant

I sent you a PM about the above.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.