Home Forums General Karting Discussion Best way to clean drivers suit?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Rod Hawkins 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Rod Hawkins
    Participant

Any advice for cleaning racing suit?

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Simple Green, Molecule, Awesome, or regular washer machine detergent?

How bad is the suit? How stained or dirty is it?

I almost wanna bet soaking it overnight with simple green will do it.

Morgan Schuler
    Participant

Dry cleaners.

Mine is usually a smelly, dirty mess from hanging in the trailer all season. It comes back from my local dry cleaner looking like new. Easy button.

Mark Erpelding
    Participant

I sell cleaning chemicals…  Each year at our banquet I give away a gallon of Wayne Chemical Industrial Green.   It is Simple Green on Steroids.    Here is the best way to do it.   Put suit in 5 gallon bucket add 24-32  Wayne Industrial Green agitate in Luke warm water.   Agitate.   Put something on top of suit to keep it from floating.  Let set overnight.   WASH IN FRONT LOADER WASHER ONLY!   A TOP LOADER WILL SHREAD THE SUIT!   TRUST ME!   After washed Re- wash this time with no cleaning chemical.   I have shared this method with many from New Castle Racers and they are amazed how clean they come.   The Wayne Industrial Green is only about $ 13.00 a gallon and Blows away all of those High dollar cleaners.   I have never had anyone tell me that the Wayne Industrial Green pulled any color from their suits…

We spend our money on Racin, Whiskey and Women.... The rest we waste....

Rod Hawkins
    Participant

Mark, where can I get ahold of some of that stuff?  I can’t seem to find in online

Rod Hawkins
    Participant

Mark?

Mark Erpelding
    Participant

Call me 260-410-1053

We spend our money on Racin, Whiskey and Women.... The rest we waste....

Rod Hawkins
    Participant

resurrecting an old thread. I bought some Molecule for my suit duties. Heavy soiled oil/grease from a few races and me doing much of my own wrenching.

I sprayed and drenched the spray on the suit. The used the detergent, also used some dawn dish soap as well as a couple packets of clothing soap, a couple packets of dishwashing detergent (I have read that this can work well with these applications since it is made to cut into greasy dishes) and a little stain cleaner.

Let soak for around an hour, then put on heavy cycle. Did a really good job of getting the whites clean and bright (will never get a white suit again). It didn’t get everything out, but I was actually fairly surprised it did as well as it did. Problem is, I used more than half the spray bottle and about 1/3-1/2 of the detergent part of it, ALONG with all the other stuff I through in there. I will have to figure out another way, thats too much money in Molecule product and as much as I’d like to support a specialty company, it is just to much, compared to what I hope I can accomplish with household items.

I can’t find any “wayne industries green” as talked about above, but I do have a TON of simple green. Simple Green is kind of odd stuff though, and probably not good to mix with traditional “detergents”. So perhaps the Dawn, Plus stain remover, plus normal detergent, plus dishwashing detergent might work?

Some say to do dry cleaning, but talking to some guys at the track, they say to make sure you get a good one, as a bad dry cleaner wont get it clean and it will make the stains more permanent. So I am a little leary there.

Jeff Wesell
    Participant

Rod,

A quick search online for Mr. Erpelding’s company led me to:

https://store.janitorssupplyco.com/Product.aspx?i=01J11IG1&cat=506

http://janitorssupplyco.com/

Streeter Super Stands
    "Roll with The Best!"
    streetersupertands.com

Rod Hawkins
    Participant

OK, so after cleaning my white and green suit again, I found that Molecule really doesn’t do any better than what I did with household cleaners.

I let it soak and occasionally stired in Simple Green and hot water for several hours. Then let it sit in the solution over night. Next day I washed it in hot water with a bit more simple green, a couple packets of tide detergent a couple packets of dishwasher detergent packets and a splash of stain remover. Yep, it was a lot of soap, but still MUCH cheaper than Molecule and I didn’t want to “set” the stains by washing it without removing everything.

btw, its a K1 custom suit and it now has had 2 failures with the zipper (the plastic zipper teeth break off) and the velco absolutely SUCK!!! Unbelievable that K1 would use garbage zippers and velcro on an item that is fairly expensive.

I’ll NEVER buy K1 items again after this and having so many issues with my K1 carbon fiber rib vest (brother had the same issue with vest), lesson learned.

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Yeah, K1 suits suck!!!!!!! very cheap stuff

Some of the guys I race with had expensive custom suits made by them, they went bad in the 1st race, sent them back for repairs, came back for the next race and broke from zipper, and seams, so they finished the race all patched up with gorilla tape.

They sent their suits back for a new replacement, and went into garbage again.

I would never buy such Mickey Mouse junk like that. I have an old Sparco suit that I’ve been using for the last 11 years and no problems, I wash it all the time, I only had to replace one zipper, but for 11 years I think it’s very acceptable, plus that poor guy has been to hail and back 2 times.

For cleaning: just go to the $1.00 store and buy some of that yellow Awesome cleaner and red carpet cleaner, soak it up for a bit and wash it. Comes out looking like magic!!!!!!!! Disclaimer. Do not leave it soaking up for too long, who knows how cheap that k1 material/fabric is? You don’t want it to look all cammo or spotty.

Rod Hawkins
    Participant

Freddy, thats good to know. My K1 carbon rib vest totally came unstitched where the buckle straps attach to the carbon. This happened on 2 of mine on BOTH straps as well as my brothers. I fixed mine with some screws and time, my brother moved to a different brand.

I have a couple Sparco suits on order, so that is nice to know they are of better quality. I will have to try your wash trick next time. Sometimes dollar store has some hidden gems in their cleaning supplies.

Thanks!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication