Home Forums General Karting Discussion Best seat for bigger guys

This topic contains 16 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  shaun s noll 8 months ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Joe Bowen
    Participant

Hey guys, So i just bought a CRG kart with the Rotax engine with full intentions of racing this next season at my local track. One thing i know is i need to buy a new seat as i dont fit in the one on the kart. I’m 6’2″ tall and weigh in at 220lbs. At first i started second guessing myself on… “Am i to big for this karting thing” but then as i was looking at pictures and watching videos i see there are alot of bigger guys racing karts! So here is the question what is the seat of choice for bigger built guys? I’m really looking at the Ribtect XXL or the Tillett seat. Any other seats or suggestions for a 6’2″ 220lbs guy?

Jim Maxson
    Participant

I used a ribtect XXL seat and loved it. Now that I lost 55 pounds and used it 4 times I need a smaller seat. So its for sale. One set of holes no scrapes. $150.00 plus shipping. Have pics.

Brian Degulis
    Participant

You might want to consider getting a front porch extension kit also.  That will move the pedals forward around 6″. That will allow you to put the seat in the right spot for good weight distribution  and still have reasonable leg room.

Brian

Joe Bowen
    Participant

You might want to consider getting a front porch extension kit also. That will move the pedals forward around 6″. That will allow you to put the seat in the right spot for good weight distribution and still have reasonable leg room. Brian

What chassis was the seat mounted on? And i’ll have to look into the front porch extension! Thanks for the replies guys!

Joe Bowen
    Participant

Also does the chassis need to be modified to fit a XXL seat? CRG Heron Plus chassis

Brian Mead
    Participant

Joe- You will have to widen the seat struts to get the larger seat to fit.  I use two block of wood and a bottle jack between the struts.   Once you have got them wide enough, go a little more and then let it set for awhile before removing the jack. Use some channel locks to get the  mounting holes on the struts  as parallel to the seat surface as possible.  Have fun, hope you have a good summer with the ride.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Deepseat all the way.

Gif

Brian Wilson
    Participant

I have a used CRG front porch, complete with pedals and extended brake rods. I would recommend a Ribtect seat, but not the XXL. I’m 6′, 248 lbs and I have the XXL and it’s too big for me, I would prefer the XL. The seat is big enough that I could wear a rib protector/vest under my suit and not feel tight in the seat.

Joe Bowen
    Participant

Brian i sent you a message. And thanks for the input on the size of the seat i was jsut going off the actual measurments of the seat i have and then judging what i thought would work!

Chris Jennings
    Participant

I am 6’4″ 200lbs and race S4 in the SKUSA ProTour.   About 3 years ago I got to the point where it hurt too much to drive because my upper body was not being properly supported.  My back was hurting and it took too much effort to keep myself upright in the corners.  Standard seats are just too short for taller drivers.   My father and I first attempted to do our own molding for a custom fit seat.  We were running short on time so we did some research and came across the Ribtect brand.  After talking to the owner Robby Mott about what seat would work best for me based on my dimensions I switched to the Ribtect XLT.  The T in XL is the version for taller drivers.   I have never been more comfortable driving a kart as I am now.  It fits me perfectly and works very well with the chassis.  The only modification I did was to trim down the front rib protectors that come across the front of your ribs.  It was more than I needed.  If you would like pictures feel free to PM me.  I hope this helps!

Gary Osterholt
    Participant

I’m like Chris.  I have a very long torso.  I’m 6’7″, but only wear a size 32″ inseam pants.  I tried a Tillett seat a few years ago when I was driving alot more.  As an recommendation from the chassis importer, they seat lasted two laps.

I have a custom DeepSeat that Charlie Frear made for me over 10 years ago.   It’s been patched a few times.  Looking to get a copy made of it.

I also have a Ribtect seat.  I have an XLT, just need to lose some weight to fit into it.

Gary

Joe Bowen
    Participant

Gary what do you weigh? I was told to go with the XL as the XXL would be to big. I’m 6’2″ and 220lbs

Gary Osterholt
    Participant

To fit in the XL from Ribtect, I’d need to get under 240lbs.

Brian Wilson
    Participant

Seat size and the person is all going to be individual. For example, I am 6′, 250 lbs. I am not fat, I wrestled in high school and college and continued to work out throughout my life. I currently race bicycles and ride at least 150 miles a week, usually more. I have a low body fat with a 36″ waist and 52″ chest with wide shoulders and no beer belly. The first seat I tried was the XLT which was very uncomfortable for me. The top of the seat came just below my arm pits and when I had my arms up or out to my side, it was fine, but when I put my arms down and tucked my elbows in, the seat cut into my horribly and was very uncomfortable. Wasn’t the seats fault, if I would have been just a hair taller or didn’t have wide lats, then it probably would have been great, just wasn’t good with my body style. Sent it back and for the cost of shipping they sent me the XL. I have glued pads to the each side of hip area that are about 1/4 – 1/2″ thick and I still have a little wiggle room throughout the seat.

Someone that is similar height and weight to me, but doesn’t exercise and carries the extra weight around their mid section will have a totally different outlook on the seat than I do. I don’t know your body style, but at your weight and height, I would suggest starting with either the XLT or XL. When you get it, throw a towel on the floor (to protect the seat) and place the seat in front of your couch or wall so that will allow you to approximate the position the seat will be mounted in your kart. Sit in it for awhile and see how it feels. If you don’t like it, just pay for the cost of shipping and get another size that will better suit you.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

I would like to see who these seats do fit. Never found one that fit me everywhere.

Taylor Young
    Participant

I’m 6’3″ 210lbs. In 17 years of karting I’ve never had to use a front porch on a kart and I use a size large Tillett or #3 European seat.  When I weighed 250lbs I sat in a XL Tillett.  I also use a riptech vest so I’m pretty snug in a seat.  I don’t think you’d have any problem being in a standard kart with an XL seat. I’ve used riptech seats before but didn’t like them because I like to be able to move my body weight around if I need to, and it effected the handling of my chassis, but that’s my preference.

shaun s noll
    Participant

not sure how much experience you have in karting but I would highly highly recommend taking whatever seat you end up buying with your kart to a local legit kart shop with scales and have them put it all together with you.  The kart I have now I bought with a tillet seat in it and the guy raced it many times before me and he was very similar build but when i swapped it out for a professionally installed ribtect seat it transformed the kart in so many ways.  Was the best money I have spent on my kart so far.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.