Home Forums General Karting Discussion Best method for securing kart in enclosed trailer

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Vincent Ciolino 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Vincent Ciolino
    Participant

I will be purchasing an enclosed trailer this weekend and was wondering what the best method of securing the Kart and contents?  Any thoughts too share?

tony zambos
    Participant

Vince,
    Use four tie-downs, pictured below, one in front and one behind each rear tire with a ratching strap over the tires

LAD Specialties / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Chris Laird
    Participant

E-trac is the way to go. Movable rings means you’re not married to a single configuration.

Peter Zambos
    Participant

The most important thing is to not stress the chassis with the straps. If I had the room inside the trailer, I would use a double stack stand, strapping the kart to that, and then strap the stand to the e-track, but I don’t, which is why my dad made his recommendation above. It’s all about making the trailer you’ve got to work best for you. But again, the key is to NOT stress the frame. You can bend it that way.
    Trust me.

Peter Zambos
    Participant

Oh, as for the rest of your stuff, we’re big fans of the 20 gallon plastic totes. Anything big/heavy gets strapped to the wall via e-track. If you’ve got the budget, I would recommend trailer accessories such as Pit Pal (fuel jug holders, axle holders, trays for cleansers and lube, etc.) as they save time and space.

Vincent Ciolino
    Participant

Thanks for the tips.  I have folding stand, streeter I believe.  Would securing the kart to the stand and securing the stand via E Track be safe?  I have seen some do this but am afraid of it falling of the stand during transport.  I thought about using a vertical  stand and strapping it to the wall but I don’t know if the trailer will have that much room.

tony zambos
    Participant

I wouldn’t with a folding stand. Too many points of failure, the kart coming losse from the stand or the stand coming loose from the trailer.

LAD Specialties / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Jay Sinon
    Participant

I have 4 tie down rings in the floor and I leave my kart on the rolling/folding stand I then use 4 tie downs. I wrap a strap around the front corners of the frame behind the spindles going straight down and then cross the back tie downs side to side and strap them to the nerf bars that hold the side pods. I have been doing this for 2 years with no problems and the frame is still straight. Works for me however, I have seen people that have had them fall but I believe it is because there stands have a hard plastic wrap around there stands I have rubber heater hose around the stand  and the kart does not like to slip or move on that.

TaG Sr.

Kirt Burcroff
    Participant

When I just had one kart and a scissor stand I built two work shelves (3/4 ply bookcase style) on either side of the trailer – the same height as the kart stand. Push the kart in on the x-stand and roll it right onto the shelves where there are 4 d-ring tie downs. when the kart wasnt in the trailer I bolted my vice and tire changer to the shelf.  The shelves we’re also installed with loose pin hinges so they could be removed and put in my garage in the Winter when we weren’t racing.

if you’d like a picture just email me at kburcroff@yahoo.com and I’ll send you a picture of the trailer with no kart in it back then.

Vincent Ciolino
    Participant

Thank you everyone for the feedback, it has been very helpful.  I went ahead and installed an e-track system and I think that will secure everything safely.  Thanks again!

-Vincent

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication