August 7, 2016 at 6:54 pm #70177
What would be the best kart track in the country that is open 12 months a year? I have been out of the karting scene since 2009 and it seems like a number of new tracks have opened that meet this criterion.
I am not familiar with but have seen that there are now tracks at:
- Mooresville, NC
- Atlanta – Atlanta Motorsports Park
- MSR – Houston
Which of these is the best overall track — great facilities and fantastic track?
I was at NOLA last year and I was impressed. I realize that there are other “older” tracks that fit the ‘open 12 months criterion’ (Sonoma, Palm Beach International Raceway, Arizona tracks, etc…) so if you think one of these is the best, certainly let me know.
Personally, I am a big fan of Sonoma but I am not sure of the weather there in January and Feb. PBIR was great before they shortened it.
Let me know.
Thanks.August 8, 2016 at 9:21 am #70203
Phoenix Kart Racing Association is a great track that is open all year. not the fancy facilities but the track is great, lots of grip and open all year. the club races 20 times a year. I love Sonoma too and the weather is good all year but the track surface is slick and they don’t race all that much.August 8, 2016 at 10:38 am #70206
While your questions are specific to a single track, I’ll throw in my two cents and would suggest a part of the country that has a lot of year round action at several different tracks. It seems I’m always reading about great events in California, but Texas is a great location with several great tracks! Houston has GCKI and the new Speedsportz track going up (MSR is rentals only). Dallas has DKC and NTK. Between San Antonio there is HCKC (New Braunfels, TX) and HOT (Waco, TX). For a long weekend you can get to NOLA as well as OMC up in Oklahoma. The point being is you have a lot of options in Texas and it’s easy to branch out to Oklahoma and Louisiana.
August 9, 2016 at 2:36 pm #70251
- This reply was modified 1 year ago by Patrick Roth.
Thanks guys. I will check out some of the TX tracks.
I actually know PKRA…spent a few days there with AJ Whisler and Alan Rudolph a few years ago when I was trying to learn how to go fast. Nice layout.
Seems like the Forums have gotten pretty quiet over the years. 10 years ago, there would have been 20 replies to a topic like this.August 9, 2016 at 2:46 pm #70252
A couple days with AJ and Alan is definitely worthwhile. They have both worked with my son. My son and Alan’s son are good friends. Tuscon is a great track that is open all year but there just isnt any racing going on there.
August 15, 2016 at 8:32 pm #70475
- This reply was modified 1 year ago by Mark Traylor.
My criteria includes what classes are offered at the tracks. So, out of the tracks that we race frequently here in the Southeast my ranking would be:
1. GoPro Motorplex – Nice well-managed facility, fully stocked shop on site, and always strong competition. Core classes offered follow current most widely offered classes in US (ie. Briggs 206, IAME Swift, IAME X30, select Yamaha). Only downside might be that although it’s open 12 months, there can be some miserable days in the winter.
2. Carolina Motorsports Park – Nice track, facilities otherwise not quite as nice as GoPro. Track races great though, and is among our favorites. Has historically been a Rotax track, but now offering Briggs and IAME classes as well. Same winter weather issues, and track tends to be slick from the sandy soil.
3. Ocala Gran Prix – Track is nice, and offers great racing on multiple configurations. They have a winter race series and the weather is usually nice year-round. Only downside (unless you live in south florida) is they operate somewhat on an island class-wise (compared to most of the southeast) heavy on Rotax & Rok. In the Rotax heyday it was the place to race if you wanted to race the best.
My .02 🙂
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
EKN Editorial Search
EKN Editorial Directory
- e – SWAG
- EKN CANADA
- Briggs Racing
- Can-Am Karting Challenge
- Challenge Of The Americas
- Florida Winter Tour
- International Kart Federation
- Los Angeles Karting Championship
- Rock Island Grand Prix
- Rok Cup USA
- Route 66 Sprint Series
- Superkarts! USA
- Texas ProKart Challenge
- United States Pro Kart Series
- United States Rotax Max Challenge
- World Karting Association