Home Forums Audio/Video Section Best accessories to mount GoPro

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Keith Buffo 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Joe Bowen
    Participant

I got a GoPro to mount on my kart but wonder what are you guys using to mount the camera? My GoPro came with two different bases with sticky tape on the bottom but I wonder are you guys buying a certain attachment for GoPro or just having faith in the tape holding? I also thought maybe drilling some small holes through the base to secure it to the Kart. Any input or suggestions be great

thanks

tony zambos
    Participant

If you are going to attached it to the fairing, use the GoPro roll bar mount, http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/roll-bar-mount. The handle bar mount looks similar, but the roll bar mount is sturdier.  Hear many mount the camera to the rad with the sticky mount. Did see a posting somewhere to be carefull doing that because if the radiaor gets too warm, the adhesive could weeken. Except for the roll bar mount to the fairing, think about using some sore of tether

Joe Bowen
    Participant

So the fairing where would the roll bar mount actually mount too? I was told that it needs to be on the front nose piece below the number plate. Track rules. Thanks for the input Tony

tony zambos
    Participant

Joe Bowen
    Participant

Thanks for the info Tony i ordered me a mount today! Looking forward to having video of my first year karting

Andrew Pachon
    Participant

Tony,

Thanks for showing how you mounted your GoPro.

~A

tony zambos
    Participant

Andrew,

You’re welcome.

Keith Buffo
    Participant

I’d also consider one of these metal cases:

http://www.dx.com/p/fat-cat-c-c3-cnc-aluminum-alloy-extension-metal-heat-sink-case-w-uv-lens-for-gopro-hero-3-247775#.U0i5q8aBjB9

It’s not so much the case (though it looks sturdy enough to survive a tumble down the track), it’s that it replaces the GoPro’s brittle clear plastic fingers with metal ones. I lost an early GoPro to those things breaking due to vibration, wind turbulence and apparently cracks caused by the torque needed to keep the camera positioned (a little surface texture would go a long way there.)

This metal case also has a place to attach a tether. However, I’m not sure it wouldn’t be better to let it fly off into the grass than beat itself to death on the kart flopping around in the wind. And I’d hate to think what it would do to a radiator. I’d rather lose a camera than a radiator, and maybe an engine too! <span style=”line-height: 1.5em;”>Letting it fly off would be a safety hazard.</span><span style=”line-height: 1.5em;”> </span><span style=”line-height: 1.5em;”>That said, I do know that pulling in for a camera would be a really stupid way to lose a race.</span>

GoPro makes a great camera, but the case is a piece of junk that they’ve done nothing to improve. A huge disappointment considering the <span style=”line-height: 1.5em;”>price </span><span style=”line-height: 1.5em;”>gouging and fixing. I’ve resisted buying one because it seems really stupid to risk a four hundred dollar camera to a design flaw that GoPro is too greedy to fix. This Fat Cat case might have me making movies again though.</span>

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.