Home Forums Chassis & Handling Bending Yokes

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Evan Fraser 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Evan Fraser
    Participant

Hi all, it’s been a while since I’ve been here, been working a lot and had a quiet off-season.  Now it’s a new year with new challenges.

Walt, maybe you can help me out here..

One of my yokes is bent to the point that I have to dial in maximum camber to get the tire to stand up straight under load.  I’d like to correct this.  I’ve been devising tools in my head to bend the upper and lower flange of the yoke at the same time while keeping them true without putting an undue amount of stress on the inside of the Kingpin hole.  Obviously I want them to bend at the actual bend at the inside of the flanges.  Does anyone know where a tool to do this can be obtained?  Or have a good design that I can weld together?

Thanks!

Evan Fraser

#43 - Formula K FK01 / Briggs LO206

West Coast Kart Club

Gary Lawson
    Participant

I’ve done it before. Measured them with clippers then used two big crescent wrenches to bend them one at a time. .010-.020″ will change a couple millimeters on the sniper.

Evan Fraser
    Participant

Clippers?

Evan Fraser

West Coast Kart Club

Mike Clark
    Participant

Probably calipers “Measured them with calipers”

Spall Chunk prolly ottokorekted

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Just have some one put it on the table and do it for you

Most table guys will charge you anywhere from $100, $150 to $200

And it will work just fine

Save all your time, frustration, tooling expenses while supporting a local karting shop.

I know most table guys will show up at most major events to offer their services, as there are lots of bent chassis during the race.

But if this is not doable then build a tool that will attach to the yoke in place of the spindle with threaded holes at top and bottom, make sure the spacers fit up on top of the yokes, where the camber pills go, then put bolts and washers top and bottom, tighten them up.

Then weld a very strong handle in the middle for you to pry it down with.

Good luck, and I hope I didn’t confuse you too much. FastFreddy.

Evan Fraser
    Participant

That’s pretty much exactly what I had in mind Freddy.  I actually went to the shops first, no one has a table that’ll do yokes.  I had the frame itself straightened in the off-season at my dealer.

I may do the caliper and crescent wrench method too, but I’d prefer to keep the yokes as true as possible.  I figure if the force on the spindles can cause the bend in the first place, a similarly shaped tool can bend them back.

Thanks guys.  I’ll let you know if it works out.

Evan Fraser

West Coast Kart Club

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication