Home Forums General Karting Discussion Behind the Laptop: The Karting Triple Crown

This topic contains 17 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Nick Tucker 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

David Cole
    Keymaster

Here is the latest column, and we are asking for the racers to give us back their input on what they consider to be the Triple Crown of karting.

ekartingnews.com/2015/06/15/behind-the-laptop-the-karting-triple-crown

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor -
    FB Tweet Inst

Roger Ruthhart
    Participant

At one point SKUSA (during it’s Jim Murley days) ran a Triple Crown of Karting, although I don’t remember the exact name. It featured a sprint race, long track enduro event and street race, which the Rock Island Grand Prix was honored to host. This would have been probably around 2000. Rob Howden and some others surely can remember more details than I, but that format certainly provided a unique challenge.

Trey Shannon
    Participant

That Daytona triple idea sounds awesome. No way I could afford to do something like that, but if somebody’s crazy enough to fund it and get me some practice time on a road course, I’m crazy enough to do it.

David Cole
    Keymaster

Practice time on the road course, haven’t you had enough practice going 24 hours there Trey? 🙂

FB Tweet Inst

Trey Shannon
    Participant

Haha good call DC. I mean on a BIG road course. Sprint I’m good to go, dirt I’ll be good to go after a couple sessions (hopefully), but would need a little testing on a road course.

David Cole
    Keymaster

The Road Racing portion is the easy part to get adjusted to. The majority of the lap is going full gas. You do however need to get through the four infield corners smooth, or you lose the draft.

FB Tweet Inst

Trey Shannon
    Participant

Would be a fun challenge for sure. Definitely willing to have a go at the triple if somebody is willing to back it.

Would need to get the required road race licence from WKA as well I’m sure.

David Cole
    Keymaster

WKA license is no issue with your experience. You just have to purchase it.

What classes would you try to do them in?

FB Tweet Inst

Trey Shannon
    Participant

Depends on how the three schedules fall together and which teams are willing to support.

ManCup: Yamaha, Leopard or X30

RoadRace: Any of the Yamaha, TaG, or Animal classes

Dirt: Any clone or champ class that fits the scheduling

Trey Shannon
    Participant

David, back when WKA did the North American Karting Championships at Charlotte Motor Speedway (early 2000s), did anybody do the triple there? I know Travis Firing and a couple other guys ran Gold Cup and the Briggs and Stratton 300. Do you know of anybody that tried to do all three, Gold Cup, 300, and Road Race? Tod Miller maybe?

David Cole
    Keymaster

As far as I can remember, I don’t believe so. I’ll ask Randy Kugler this weekend at USPKS event.

FB Tweet Inst

Dan Breuer
    Participant

The challenge isn’t  just running them- you have to win them!  Jack Hewitt- only driver to win all 4 divisions of the 4 crown nationals at Eldora on the same day.

David Cole
    Keymaster

Great point Dan. I think first however, we need to see if someone can even pull it off. Just racing in all three events is a challenge enough. If the schedules align, the right programs come together. Then maybe after a couple attempts, we can begin asking, “Who can WIN at all three WKA Daytona KartWeek events?”

If we went for a Grand Slam, we could throw in a pavement oval race as well. I’m sure there is a parking lot area to build another oval at DIS 😉

FB Tweet Inst

Trey Shannon
    Participant

Winning all three would be unreal. I don’t think I can name a single current kart driver who has the skill in all three disciplines to pull that off. Maybe Mark Dismore, Lake Speed, or Tod Miller in their primes. I’d be shocked if there’s anybody today versatile enough to pull off winning all three in the same weekend.

Like you said, it would be really cool just to see somebody figure out a way to race in all three, and then actually do it. Even a podium in two of the three would be pretty amazing. Either way, it’s a loooooooong weekend.

Nick Tucker
    Participant

I think pre 2005 you could say winning IKF Grandnational Championships in sprint, speedway and road race would be a prestigious triple crown. Not sure how many people have accomplished this but I’m sure it’s not a huge list. In the late 90’s there was an event held a willow springs called the iron man that ran the sprint track, big willow and the streets of willow. This event was really cool but probably didn’t carry no where near the prestige of the IKF nationals. Also in the late 90’s you had the WKA Constructors Cup which was a true National Touring series along with the creation of the SKUSA Pro Moto tour in 99.

I look at karting today and you have the SKUSA pro tour and Rotax US open as the National touring series but other then that it seems like the rest of the events are glorified regional events. The Daytona triple would be cool to attempt.

Dan Breuer
    Participant

I didn’t say it would be easy! But you are correct, it would be an accomplishment to just run decent in all three Daytona events…. But I have to vote for Mr. Tucker- really think he could put up a realistic shot to win in all (only question would be on the road race, haven’t seen him in that venue). Won SKUSA, watched him win in a tough field of dirt karts (winged mini outlaws, shows he can get around that area as well). Let me know if you need a hand Nick, really think you should give it a shot.

Bernie Baldus
    Participant

Lynn Haddock has won multiple IKF duffy’s in all 3 catagories.

I think those came in different years, but he is listed as an IKF Expert in Road Race, Sprint and Dirt.

Nick Tucker
    Participant

Well I know Colin Fleming and myself won all three divisions (road race, sprint and speedway) as juniors. Beyond Lynn Haddock I’m not sure of anyone else.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication