Home Forums Tech Talk Bearing Cleaning

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Jay 10 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Kirt Burcroff
    Participant

Doing my Winter tear down and I’m curious what people do To clean their axle bearings. What’s the best way to clean out the dirt and re-lube?

tony zambos
    Participant

Kirt,

There are probably several posts on the EKN Classic forum about servicing bearings.  This is the first one I came across.  http://eknclassic.com/viewtopic.php?t=118637&highlight=bearing

If you can afford new ones, buy them.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

If you can get the shields off and back on without bending them you’re golden. Just use any good wheel bearing grease. Don’t use gas to clean anything!

Gif

Eric Penaranda
    Participant

Walt, any thoughts on the best tool to remove the shields besides a flat head screwdriver? Some dirt got caught in my axle bearings and they sound very gritty when turned by hand. They are fairly new so spending $90 for new bearings doesn’t make sense unless I can’t get in there.

Ray Lovestead
    Participant

Eric

Getting the shields off isn’t the problem, it is getting them back on that is usually a fail.  How old are the bearings?  I’d not expect bearings to last much more than a solid season if you have a dusty track.

I’ve used a lot of the cleaning tricks, but in the end, I just throw them out and buy new ones.  That, or just put up with grinding sounds until the bearings are just too loose to use anymore.

I’ve found that the key to keeping bearings longer is to do nothing as much as you can.. By that I mean don’t ever use cleaning products to ‘clean’ them out.  Just wipe them off so you don’t break down the existing bearing grease.

Ray

Eric Penaranda
    Participant

Thanks Ray, they have probably 5 hours total so they are worth keeping for while longer. The next round of bearings ill just let be and wipe down as you suggest.

tony zambos
    Participant

Eric, still think that if you have the bearings out, replace them. Experiment with the worst one and save the other for an emergency.  If that bearing seizes while you’re in a corner, it’s going to snap your kart right around.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Kirt, are these 40mm bearings? If so get new ones with rubber seals and you’ll never have that problem again. Shielded bearings will be dirty again after your first day of racing.

Gif

Kirt Burcroff
    Participant

I’m working on 50mm bearings. I would run Wd-40 through them at the track to flush out dirt. They have about 16 days on them so I hadnt planned on replacing them. For my Winter tear down I ran brake cleaner through them and then Wd-40. It got rid of the obvious dirt sound and they seem to be spinning nicely but I was wondering if anyone else had any tried and true methods.

Byron
    Participant

Wd40 is a solvent,  not a lubricant. It will clean the grease from your bearings, not lubricate them.

Brian Degulis
    Participant

I use a punch to pop a hole in the shield. I pump minerals spirts in the hole with a horse size hypodermic needle, clean them out then pump in some 90W gear oil. I only do that after they pick up dirt as long as they’re running smooth I leave them alone.

Brian

Jay
    Participant

After a nasty “off” into the dirt I used WD-40 to clean the grit out of my three sealed 50mm axle bearings. I did not remove the shields. Yes, this is a messy process. Then I spun and sprayed them with aerosol red lithium grease. That was last season and they still feel and sound like new. I “rinse” them each track day with a 1 second shot of Tri-Flow. This keeps my axle clean and bright too.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.