Home Forums TaG Backfiring Leopard No Start

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  John Salsbury 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Bob Wimmer
    Participant

I have a push button Leopard that ran fine when it was last run 6 months ago. When I tried starting it today with an external starter it would almost catch, but then begin to backfire. I swapped coils, stater boxes and put in a new plug. Always the same thing lots of exaust smoke, almost starting and backfiring.

The engine is getting lots of fuel and the plug sparks when removed from the engine.

What should I swap next carb & reeds or  the rotor/stator?  Also, what sort of damage could this backfiring cause?

Thanks

Bob

Ric mcDade
    Participant

Hard to say, not being there, but, have you looked at your reeds? Sounds like broke reeds. Second guess is slipped timing. I’m not the brightest crayon in the box. But that is where I would start. Good luck, let us know.

Sean Swisz
    Participant

I’ve had quite a few problems with electrical and timing. I would check the rotor/stator as you’ve mentioned, but someone correct me if I’m wrong. I’ve had rotor go bad/de-magnetize which cause it not to start. I was also at the track an witnessed a stator to go bad during a race and immediately started popping and afterfiring.

You can try a few simple test before going out to purchase anything. Take off the rotor and see if it will attract anything… stick to toolbox or something (should have a good magnetic bite to it) Not sure if there is a way to measure magnetic strength of one. You can also get a multi-meter and check the output from the stator. I have my exact data output from two working stators of mine, but I have to find them on my hard drive tomorrow.. it’s 3:22am now and I’m on my phone. PM me your email and I will email the screen shot data that I have. Keep us posted with any updates or success.

Tony Kart / Leopard

Jim Derrig
    Participant

Also possible for the crank trigger (Sean says “rotor”) to slip off the crank key, throwing off the timing.

John Salsbury
    Participant

I would try something easy and free first. Disconnect the ignition switch and see if it starts and runs right.

Bob Wimmer
    Participant

Put a fresh engine on the kart and spun it over with the plug out. It sparked much faster and more consistent than the other engine. Put the plug in and the new engine ran fine.

Pulled the the crank trigger / rotor off the problem engine and the key was fine. The magnets are also strong. All that’s left is the stator. Will borrow a known good one and test on the bench before replacing.

Ric mcDade
    Participant

Have you looked at your reeds yet?

Jim Derrig
    Participant

Crap.  Re-read your first post and realized you said “stator box” and not “stator.”

It’s always the stator.  That should have been your first move.

Bob Wimmer
    Participant

I’ve been running Leopards for five years and have seen everything in the ignition system fail except the stator. I guess it was about time. Now I need to track down a used one.

Thanks for the help.

John Salsbury
    Participant

Crap – I’m with Jim….. I just re-read your post and see that this is a push button Leopard. Sorry for wasting your time with disconnecting the ignition switch – you don’t have one – we do and it can cause similar problems.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication