--> axle bearings – ekartingnews

Home Forums Tech Talk axle bearings

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  FREDDY SANDOVAL 3 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Joe Morales
    Participant

Hello karters, im running a rotax sr and I have been having more and more problems with my gears getting eatin up by the chane. I know that the gear in in line, I have a gage for that. I took the hole rear of the kart appart after the race to gope I see something wrong the axle is good but I have some concerns with the bearings. The bearing cases have some wears. The bearings slop back and forth an eighth of an inch. What do you guys think.

tony zambos
    Participant

Joe,
    Replace both axle bearings. An eighth of an inch in play is about the thickness of a gear tooth. Never measured the play in a new bearing but assume it would be only a thousandth or two of an inch.

LAD Specialties customer / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Joe Morales
    Participant

Thank you. Its a 2013 crg dose the bearing case get weared out also.

tony zambos
    Participant

Joe,
    I have not owned a CRG, but doubt that bearing cassettes, the aluminum blocks that hold the bearings in place, would be worn on a 2013 chassis. The bearing should fit tightly in the cassette. The bearing should not move in the cassette. The only side-to-side movement should be the inside race that goes around the axle. You might have to use a very fine sand paper to clean up the inside of the cassette before installing the new bearing. You should be able to replace the bearings many times without thinking about replacing the cassettes. Think I’ve put a dozen bearings into my current cassettes without a problem.

If the bearing does move within the cassette, there is a possibility that someone not knowing how a bearing goes into a cassette could have damaged it or you have the wrong size bearing.

Joe Morales
    Participant

There is no slop bearing to case but some anodized wear. The bearing has slop wondering if that might be why im eating up gears.

tony zambos
    Participant

Joe,

you can’t say that you have the gears aligned if you alxe moves 0.125 inches. I’d would not have my gears any more than 0.050″ out of alignment. Not having a view of your gears and chain, maybe replacing the chain and gears plus the bearings is called for. You have at least damaged the rear gear and maybe the drive gear. The chain also can strech and your’s maybe have been stretched to one side as well. Start by removing the play in the axle and see what happens. You may wind up replacing the gears and chain after that.

Joe Morales
    Participant

I measured the bearing with a hight gage and it was about 15 thousands of play in the bearing.

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

I would take care of the worn out components ( replaced what’s broken or bad first )

Then move on to the chain issue, you may have a bad engine sprocket and a bad rear sprocket as well.

Take a close look at your engine sprocket, and look for possible sharp edges, uneven teeth, etc ( a bad engine sprocket can ruin a new chain and rear sprocket at no time )

You may have to replace engine sprocket/driver, rear sprocket and chain altogether

Depending on the engine and clutch set up you’re running, some like it at 1/2 inch of play, some at 1 inch of play, etc. Too loose or too tight of a chain will kill the whole thing, including your engine driver.

Make sure you check your chain tension, lube your chain and driver inner bushing in every practice session.

Hope that helps, my 2 cents.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

ekartingnews