Home Forums Audio/Video Section Aspect Ratio for Creating a DVD

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  tony zambos 4 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

tony zambos
    Participant

I use RaceRender to overlay my RaceStudio data over GoPro video. Since I have a pc that’s running Windows Vista, I take the .wmv file created by RaceRender and run it thru MediaConverter 8 to come up with an MPEG (H264 MP4) file. The MPEG is created because the video is shared with a MAC owner.
    Both the .wmv and the mpeg versions view properly on a pc monitor. Used the .wmv version as the input to Windows DVD Maker. The resulting DVD does not view properly on either a pc or tv. The image is squished from side to side and the top and bottom are cut off.
    What should the aspect ratio be for a DVD and where is it set? Thanks in advance.

LAD Specialties customer / tony kart / rotax / kt100

David Cole
    Keymaster

1920×1080 – that’s 16:9 ratio

Never worked with the software before, so can’t help you where to set it up.

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor

tony zambos
    Participant

Thanks Dave

James McMahon
    Participant

That’s quite a workflow you have there! I think DC is thinking of the HD formats. You can actually get HD video (AVC\Blu ray quality) on a DVD disc if the video is short enough. Of course the player has to support the format that you have chosen too. It’s a good cheap way of distributing HD videos on a disc to people that have blu ray players.

Anyway, a regular DVD resolution is 720×480. Even though mathematically, this is not 16:9 it is is resolution you need to use for output. A flag is added to the video that makes it display in a widescreen (16:9) format.

Are you adding menus so forth, or do you just want a DVD playable disk with the footage?
    If you have enough space, have RaceRender make you a near lossless file (huffyUV is a good example) so you get minimum degradation of quality by the time your DVD video is rendered.

tony zambos
    Participant

James,
    That worked, thanks. Have tried Windows Movie Maker to add a title and a menu, but isn’t necessary.
    Yea, know that’s a bunch of steps to from a MPEG file back to a MPEG. A SmartyCam would make life easier, but not in the budget.

Thanks again

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.