Home Forums General Karting Discussion Anyone know approx how much fuel use in Main? 15 laps KPV 100cc

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Walt Gifford 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Rod Hawkins
    Participant

I am always a little over weight for my class, we can do 360 lbs and use a KPV with a 3 pipe or at 390 lbs run a 4 pipe. The last race, I was at 375 lbs with a 1/4 tank of fuel left in the stock 8.5L tank. I have lost 7 lbs since then, but even when I get to where I want to be wt wise, I am still a little heavy and I don’t like the idea of adding 20-30 lbs of lead to the chassis to run at 390 and 4 pipe.

I have a Tony 401 and use the standard tank which I think it like 8.5L, and I always just fill it about 1/3 full and go through all practice, heats and warm up and then I don’t have to refuel til usually the main.

My thought is to get the smaller 2 or 3L or so tank (it doesn’t appear that Tony makes one of these avail for the 401 chassis, but there are after market options). I figure I really shouldn’t be running this much fuel and especially in my heat races and qualifying, I could easily save a few pounds. Not a huge deal, but since I am already carrying a few extra and working like crazy to lose it, a few more would sure be nice!

We usually run 7-8 lap heats and qualif and 15-16 lap mains. Running KPV with 3 pipe at 360-370 lbs (since I know all of this makes a difference on how much fuel is consumed).

Hope this isn’t a dumb question, as I have only been karting for a few years and trying to start maximizing every way I can.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

I’ve run the Jr plastic tank and the aluminum 2qt. and I use about 1-1/2 pints with a KT100. I fill 3/4 full and have enough at the end so I don’t starve for fuel. Best thing is you don’t have allot of fuel left over after the races and the plastic tank is easy to take off and clean.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication