Home Forums Road Racing Animal Laydown, Basic Q+As

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Bruce Peck 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Martin A. Secrest
    Participant

I’ve been involved in east coast Yamaha laydowns, but I have some very basic questions about setting up an Animal laydown.

I know we need a RH chassis.  Beyond that, I’m clueless.  I’m interested in it not really for racing, but just for getting in some laps with as little maintenance as possible.  There is no one running it here on my side.  So with that in mind …

Best engine clutch (i.e., lowest maintenance one)?

Belt or chain drive?

Fuel is what?

How much $$ and work on a stock Animal necessary to make it fun?

Speed versus Yamaha Sportsman?

Engine maintenance intervals and other considerations?

Any help appreciated.  Thanks.

Dave Armstrong
    Participant

Wilshire Walkup and myself built one a couple of years ago.  We put a World Formula on it.  We went with the WF because it’s a TAG and requires little to no maintenance and is pretty bullet proof and we thought it would be good to bring to the SKC races at Roebling and let first time people drive a laydown.  It comes with a clutch and there is a spec pipe.  No parts of the month to buy and just change the oil regularly.   We even have the original spark plug in it.    In the Midwest there is a pretty good following but they use the Animal.  PM Linda Baldus.  She’s very helpful and can fill you in on what they do out there.

That being said, we have a CKI right hand chassis.  We use the clutch the came with the WF but we have a belt drive drum on the clutch.  We use 93 octane pump gas.  We use 6″ rims, 5″ wide.  At Roebling, it was about as fast as a mid pack can (not sportsman, the old can).  I think we turned times of 1:30 maybe a 1:29 at Roebling Road.  Which was fast enough to for first time laydown people in a novice race.

It is fun to drive.  Not overly fast but almost maintenance free compared to other packages and a good set up to get people hooked on laydown road racing.  Unfortunately, with road racing what it is today and SKC having only 2 races a year, it’s hard to find new people to bring into the sport.

Wilshire stores the kart in his place.  It will take a day or two but I would  be glad to get more info.  It also may be for sale if interested.

Dave Armstrong

Jacksonville, FL

Martin A. Secrest
    Participant

Interesting setup, thanks Dave.

Linda Baldus
    Participant

We run the Animal on gas w/ spec oil (Amsoil) and pipe and 2 disc clutch. Started out w/ a spec clutch but they keep obsoleting them and parts become harder to find. We’re now running Greased Lightning, Bully and Cheetah 2 disc clutches.
    Some of our racers have made pusher chassis and swear by them but there’s a difference of opinion on that.
    35 chain mandatory.
    Some of our guys have spent nothing other than the initial expense of purchasing the engine but to be truly competitive in our class you must blue-print.
    One fresh engine will run all year w/ regular valve maintenance.
    Top speed on a long track is 85, no matter how hard you push on the throttle, and it’s down from there, but in a pack drafting it’s a blast and fast enough. All of the guys are older and wiser (?). You don’t have to go fast to have fun, but it is more fun to have someone your same speed.
    At Hallett, which is pretty short and twisty w/ elevation changes, the 4 hole can Yamaha turned 1:36 and the Animals turned 1:42s and 1:43s and top speed was 77.

Kelly Read
    Participant

Martin,

The MAIN reason some of us built rear engine karts is due to upper body size.  On certain karts and drivers, they are not wide enough by the time you put the animal motor on the side and try to keep the seat in the middle or as close to the middle as possible. On side winders we normally have the seat so far over away from the motor for clearance you feel like you are in a awkward driving position so with putting the motor in the rear, it keeps the driver in a normal position.

As for which one is faster, I have driven both styles and I can’t say one is faster then the other. I will say that those who have the CKI karts are hard to beat rather it’s a side winder or rear engine kart especially on tracks where quick corner exit speed is a must.

Reason we have what Linda calls blueprint motors is not necessarily what some of us call blueprinting is due to the Briggs changes they have made over the years. Yes there are things we can do to them but not what could be done!!! Carburetor STOCK including STOCK jets as one thing. Some people have the world formula rod in there’s due to having issues with the stock rod. Running 30 minute races (1 per day, 7-8 times a year) not counting practice, that is asking a lot on that rod.

We do also have bodywork rules. Nose stops at rear edge of front tires, side panels cannot connect to nose and must between the front/rear tires with a maximum 2″ bend on the top. This allows us to use the kids old bodywork!!  Full floor pan is allowed.

Is it fun???  HELL YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! People watch us and think we are TURDS!!!  But in the kart racing and several karts battling, speed isn’t everything. I just had a guy drive one of mine at Hallett and he was very impressed. He even said that when in the kart it felt faster then when he would just watched it. Guess what??  He isn’t giving it back until after HPT!!!  I LOVE IT!!

Come on over to HPT in Topeka Kansas October 3-5 and just see for your self.

THE MAN

Martin A. Secrest
    Participant

Don’t think I’ll make it to Kansas from Virginia Kelly but thanks for the info!  Rock on with that US steel.

Larry Stewart
    Participant

Come down to Savannah Oct.4 & 5 and race with Southern Kart Club. I bet you can talk Dave into bringing the World Formula laydown for you to try. Roebling Road Raceway is not a complicated track to learn, so you would get a lot of track time.

Southern Kart Club is a great bunch of people, so you will get all the help you need. Just ask anyone for help, except me, I don’t know anything about laydawns.

Bruce Peck
    Participant

Martin:  knowing that you’re a Woodbridge guy I assume you will be at Summit Point?  Go talk to the Animal sprint guys there.  There should be plenty.  If you’re just looking for something to get laps in you might want to look at the Briggs LO206 engine and the parts required if you were going to run the 206 class (spec pipe, only drum type clutches, etc.)   They’re just a rope pull start so they are simple, low cost, pump gas, change oil, go have fun.   There should be a couple of 206 sprinters at Summit so go look them up.   I’d also go ask questions in the enduro section of the “other” kart forum.  You know, the one for the type of engine you want to run . . .   You’ll get lots of input there.

There are shops out there with complete LO206 packages with clutch etc like this one:

http://www.fastermotors.net/LO206ENGINEPACKAGES.html

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.