Home Forums 250 Superkarts Anderson Chassis

This topic contains 16 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Larry Stewart 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Larry Stewart
    Participant

I just got an Anderson chassis around 2004. Dose anyone know where the serial number is?

Ian Harrison
    Participant

Hi Larry

You don’t say if it’s a Maverick (3 axle bearings) or a Mirage chassis (2 axle bearings), but it will be stamped on a small rectangular plate that’s tack welded onto the chassis at the front. Usually stamped Anderson across the top with the number underneath. Sometimes (but not always), the year will also appear on the plate in smaller numbers.

Best Regards

Ian :-)

Larry Stewart
    Participant

Ian

Thank you for your reply, it’s a 3 bearing , so I guess a Maverick. I can find no plate on the frame anywhere. I was told it was an Anderson, but have on real idea. I don’t know why you would take the plate off, but there you are.

Ian Harrison
    Participant

You could put up an image. I could identify it from that

Here is a shot of the front right of a Maverick chassis showing the number plate position (it’s not always exactly there).

One of the Maverick’s distinguishing features is the mounting stub for the bottom ball joint (Rod-end). You can see that at the left of shot.

Best Regards

Larry Stewart
    Participant

Ian

You will have to give me your email address for pictures as I can’t post pictures to the forums. I am computer illiterate.

Ian Harrison
    Participant

Hi Larry

Send to sales@viper-racinguk.co.uk and I’ll have a look/post them up.

Ian Harrison
    Participant

Hi Larry

Seems like the consensus on this side of the pond is we haven’t a clue!! Maybe a home built effort that someone has used a few ideas from different manufacturers.

Perhaps someone on your side of the pond knows something?

Here’s the pictures of your chassis

Larry1

Larry2

Here is what Russell Anderson (Anderson CSK Supremo) said, “Don’t recognise this Ian, sure looks a bit of a mish/mash. No welded in steering, brake mounting. Home Brew then. Not Anderson”

Here is what Boyd Barrington said, ” I think this could well be a modified Spyda. We didn’t make two the same so it’s difficult to be certain, but we did do one (or more) with bolt in T at the front. The seat mounts would have been welded in to match my seat and the conversion to 125 mounts and an airbox(?) bracket are later mods I guess.

Best Regards

Paul Traver
    Participant

Looks like an ADE chassis. I use to have one that looks identical.

Ian Harrison
    Participant

Hi Paul

All the ADE’s that I’ve seen had an oval V-shaped stub to carry the bottom ball joint not a tubular mini ‘A’ Frame.

Larry Stewart
    Participant

Ian

Thanks for all your good work. I’ll just have to work with what I’ve got. One piece at a time.

Paul Traver
    Participant

Hi Ian,

The  ADE that I had, has the triangle bottom mount like in the picture. Also the bolt in tee for the rack and brake cylinder which can be seen in the picture.

Paul

John Benson
    Participant

Paul, I thought about your old kart first thing when I saw the pic.

Ian Harrison
    Participant

OK Paul, I defer to your personal knowledge . . . . . but . . . . is it possible yours was a Swift!!

I now have it on good authority that Larry’s chassis is a Swift, manufactured by Doug Sheppard in the UK.

The only Swift I was aware of was one that was very similar to the Anderson AK (or perhaps the other way round), but my informant assures me that he used to race one of these A-frame versions and also sold a few along the way to local racers in the South-West of the UK.

In fact in my search I came across this thread, which I contributed something to a couple of years back and also involved Larry, I presume on a previous kart: http://eknclassic.com/viewtopic.php?t=118460&sid=b0a8345c00c614a8b06face493b7b305

I believe that quite a few Swift 257’s were sold in the USA and perhaps there was even a series for them, which is confirmed by Mark Croslyn in the above thread???

The 125 conversion is probably a later addition by a previous owner.

Best Regards

Larry Stewart
    Participant

I still have the Swift. I had a disagreement with the turn 4 tire wall at VIR last year and bent the right front brake rotor along with some fiberglass.  The glass I can fix or replace, but the rotor is a problem. I borrowed the new kart to race until I can get the Swift fixed. I won’t drive anything until I take it apart and check everything. That is where I am now. A big pile of parts.

Paul Traver
    Participant

Hi Ian,

I’m sure that my chassis was an ADE. It was raced on the west coast by two other owners that claim it’s an ADE.  However after looking at Larry’s pictures closer I don’t see the front seat mount tubes for the PVP seat brackets that mine had. I have also looked at a Swift and can see that my old chassis is quite different from a Swift.

Paul

DENNIS CRITCHLEY
    Participant

It looks like a Swift 2000 model, it has a long caster bar as you can see by where the rear bracket for the caster bar is welded so far back on the frame.Almost a copy of the Anderson

They are still a few on the West coast and, were very successful in the right hands
    Calvin bought them in not sure how many!!!
    Dennis

Larry Stewart
    Participant

Now I’m looking for parts.

I need 3 rawl nuts that are 13mm x 32mm. Those hold the bottom steering column cross member. I also need 4 rawl nuts that hold the back bumper on. They are two different sizes and I can’t find them right now. What a wonder. I never loose anything.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.