Home Forums Road Racing AKRA coming to Road Racing?

This topic contains 42 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  Robert Lawson 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • Author

Eric Stockford
    Participant

David Cole
    Keymaster

I think its a good thing. The more road racing regional programs, the better. That is one of the problems we are facing IMO. There is no such thing as a ‘National’ series right now, which is fine. Racers just need to support their local or regional programs to keep the numbers going, and to introduce more and more people.

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor -
    FB Tweet Inst

John Mulvihill
    Participant

Sent my membership application into AKRA this morning.

John

Kerry Yunck
    Participant

Once again the pie gets sliced a little thinner for Road Racing

John Mulvihill
    Participant

From AKRA:

“We have no intentions of starting additional races at this time as I stated above. We are talking with existing groups who are looking for options that better serve their racers and enhance their current programs.

Thanks,

Bill McCutcheon
    AKRA,Inc “

Robert Lawson
    Participant

I’ve been looking and reading over at Bobs. Until something of substance is offered it makes no sense to take sides on a statement that has no direction yet.

Bummer that these things are “released” as news before any real info we can use is supplied. Now, guys will start picking teams and throwing each other under the bus……poo-pooing what no one knows for sure will even take place.

I know this much, RR needs a kick in the nuts and a big wake-up call. Don’t care who does it or what logo they use. It certainly is time someone said enough, and made some changes.

Gonna wait and see…….

RPM

Dale Coffey
    Participant

Not very sure I see this as a positive move for road racing.   With more regional series competing for the same racers, you have a smaller grid for both, and with the prices of track rental not getting cheaper, you will lose the premium tracks that everyone likes to race, such as what happened to Road Atlanta.  What track would be next to drop out?  Mid Ohio?  It was already proven when they had a 2nd regional race there a few years ago, the entries didn’t support the expenses, and the Dart Kart Club lost money on it.

Road Racing needs help for sure, but not more fracturing.   I say let’s see what the new President of WKA does, after the old regime has been removed.   Give it a chance, and if you have ideas for improvement, send them to WKA, your Trustee, or I know there will be a new RR committee formed in the next week.

Van Gilder was in charge of operations at WKA and has left now.  Did he leave Road Racing in better condition when he left?  I don’t believe the entry numbers would show that he did.  He had enough time and power to make positive changes.

Dale Coffey

Eric Stockford
    Participant

We don’t go to Road Atlanta because they have concrete barriers. We lost a really good guy there.
    Keith Lorentzen back in 2007.

Dale Coffey
    Participant

WKA continued to race there a few years after that incident, because I was there.   Robby Harper was the promoter and quit promoting the race because the entries didn’t cover the costs.

Clark Gaynor Sr.
    Participant

I agree Dale, I’m not convinced we need another org right now.  Two organizations fighting over the same events isn’t going to help anything.  You’ve been involved in road racing long enough to understand clubs and promoters are hanging on by their fingertips as it is.   Adding a new org, with even a slightly different rules structure isn’t going to add entries.  At least in my opinion it isn’t.  And if the class structure and tracks are the same, I have trouble understanding what the point is.  More track dates will not suddenly become available, and I suspect rental prices are not going to be reduced.

We’re all aware now that AKRA is going to add road racing and sprint racing to their program, but we haven’t heard anything else.  I know WKC is open to hearing what they have to say, but until there is a MUCH better mouse trap, I suspect we’ll be staying with WKA.  At least in the short term.

That is just my opinion, and is in no way a WKC endorsement one way or the other.

Have a good one folks.  Let’s all wait and see.  I’m just wondering how long we’re going to have to wait!

Clark Gaynor Sr.

Greg Wright
    Participant

Just saw this on Facebook;
    AKRA Welcomes Dart Kart Members
    By Bruce C. Walls
    AKRA Media and Marketing
    The American Kart Racing Association (AKRA) is proud to announce the addition of the Dart Kart Club and their sanctioned tracks for 2015 to its membership ranks. Dart Kart Club, is one of the nation’s oldest and largest Road Racing clubs in the country. These high-speed racers compete against the clock as much as they do each other.

Primarily powered by 2-cycle motorcycle racing engines, these pilots compete on long road racing courses for specific time periods that end in fierce battles before the checkers wave.
    Additional details, including their 2015 season schedule, will be announced soon.
    Gene Davis, do you want to comment on this posting? Are Dart Kart Club races being sanctioned by AKRA in 2015?

Greg Wright
    Rapid Racing Inc.

"When in doubt Gas it, It won't help but it ends the suspense."

John Mulvihill
    Participant

To me, it looks like AKRA will be there to support Road Racing no matter what happens with the WKA.  Sounds like a win-win.

Robert Lawson
    Participant

At this point, it looks like the core group of individuals (DKC and Mr. Gilder) that actually did the work and took some financial risk (track rentals, etc) of making the WKA NRRS have simply left for the AKRA.

If the few remaining Clubs that supported the WKA NRSS remain, they will have a lot of work and responsibility. If not, the WKA may just loose road racing altogether.

Most were not around when WKA was formed. I can assure you, much of the same things that will be said here about this AKRA was said then about WKA.

Its just History repeating itself.

Personally, it doesn’t matter. DKC has always done a very good job with their events and I do not see that changing along side a new logo.

RPM

Allen Cox
    Participant

If the Dart membership is leaving WKA to run with the group that is heading up this AKRA, I guess I will not be returning to Mid Ohio or any other event they put on.

B-Stock / Unlimited

George Petry
    Participant

Allen, I’m curious why you would not race a Dart Kart/AKRA race? I’m not trying trying to get in you face or anything of the sort, This whole AKRA thing is new to me, and I’m curious what information you have that would cause you to have such strong attitudes towards these organizations.

Eric Stockford
    Participant

Its all about insurance and affordability.

With the WKA  holding the insurance the clubs are having a tough time paying for the track and associated costs of running the race.

There is much more to it than the average karter sees.

Brian Wilhelm
    Participant

Anyone seen a 2015 WKA tech manual?

Linda Baldus
    Participant

I don’t have a dog in this hunt but I just found out there’s a huge following with a lot of input from Bill McCutcheon on Bob’s 4-cycle about this subject if you’ve got a day to read it all. Here’s a link: http://karting.4cycle.com/showthread.php?41505-Akra-official-announcement

Keep on kartin'. llb
    Raymore, MO
    lindabaldus@hotmail.com

Jeremy Baldi
    Participant

Since Dart Kart is my home club I guess I’ll be seeing what this AKRA is all about.

It hasn’t seemed like many racers have been committing to the WKA national series lately.  Just to expensive to travel around.  I can only think of a very low number of karters that have tried to go for a national championship in the last few years.  Most have instead been just racing at their local club events and if those happen to be a WKA event than great.

Having said that I would think that it will be hard for DKC to get good numbers this year without WKA attached to their events.  I hope that is not the case and hope that there is maybe something in place to make sure DKC can make good numbers this year and continue in the future.  The AKRA says more RR will be announced in the near future.  I am really curious what those races will be since it is kinda late to get track dates for this year.

I am also really interested in the rules.  Like Brain said he hasn’t seen a 2015 WKA rule book and they already had a race.  One would assume most rules will be the same so you at least have a good base to go on.  AKRA better get a RR rule book out soon if they want anyone to prep a kart in time for their races.

Like most I have stayed closer to home the last few years and competed in races put on by DKC, CES, MKC, WKC and WKA.  I am going to continue to do that and therefor will support any org that puts on a races within around 6hrs of my home.  Hope to see lots of people at the races this year no matter who’s putting it on.

Jeremy Baldi

TM K9b F-125 Laydown

patricia hechler
    Participant

As I see this (and I am sure there are karters out there that don’t see it this way), the only individuals who put things on the line and take it in the shorts is the club itself.  Poor attendance?  Bad weather?  High towing costs?  The club pays the penalty.  Not the WKA, not any individual employed by WKA… the club.  I cannot fault ANY club for deciding to change direction and seeking different sanctioning.  At the end of the day, it’s the club that has to cover the costs.

Please don’t boycott a track like Mid Ohio simply because you live and breathe WKA and you don’t care to support DKC any longer.  This could not have been an easy decision to make on their part and unless you know what their ledger book looks like, don’t assume that they made this decision mindlessly or with malice towards WKA.

Care to dismiss Mid Ohio this year because of this?  Care to show DKC your feelings with lack of attendance?  Then realize, when next year comes (or the year after that), and Mid Ohio is no longer booking a kart event, that it was because if narrow-minded pride for WKA that caused Mid Ohio to fall off the karting map.  Is that what you want?  You want to show the sport that we can’t weather the change in tide?  You care so little for getting to put your little kart on a grand track like that, that you’re willing to throw it down the toilet to prove a point?

My gosh, I hope everyone realizes that we are on a cusp of change that we can either just throw away totally or do what is necessary to make it flourish.  You pick what side you’re going to be on.

I don’t mean to flame anyone, but I don’t want the sport of karting to look like we are a bunch of sixth graders.

Greg Wright
    Participant

Well said Patricha, I agree 100%. By the same token I can almost guarantee that a percentage of the WKA stalwarts will be willing to cut off their noses to spite their faces.

If this affects DKC in the future it will be a true shame. Personally I am hoping for the best and have no true dog in the fight.

Greg Wright
    Rapid Racing Inc.

"When in doubt Gas it, It won't help but it ends the suspense."

Austin Henry
    Participant

Come on over and run with KART we are happy to have any of you

Austin Henry

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Patty,

Damn, that was awesome!!! 🙂

Many good points, enthusiastic, non partial, and some ugly but necessary truths.

Partial to the Clubs but that needs to be understood. Without the Clubs there is nothing beyond that!!!!!

RPM

Kevin Kann
    Participant

I agree changes need to be made. As Patty says the narrow minded leadership at WKA has put road racing in the trouble it is in right now. That being said your talking about running with this new club AKRa which is now being lead by the very inmates that oran WKA into the ground… Does anyone relize the money that has been paid out to these very few individuals to run WKA into the ground? Including the money paid to a leader of Dart Kart Club in Daytona 2014 for use of a scoring system? Has that money shown up to the club of Dart Kart? I just have a hard time beliving everyone would welcome this change of name knowing what these people have done to WKA Road Racing the last decade and your willing to go right with the wolves down the same path? This is what has kept me from rejoing WKA because I cannot support an orignization that makes poor choices. Think about what your all doing before you welcome this old stall bad leadership of WKA to the “new” AKRA. And maybe AKRA was a well run club but if your bringing in the old guard who most disliked from WKA isnt this just WKA with a new name????

Brad Alan
    Participant

I’m planning on running the Dart Kart club races this year. With that being said, and if infact the Dark Kart Club has elected to go with AKRA I’ll need the 2015 rule book.

I went online to the AKRA website to see that I need to call to get the 2015 rulebook. I have called the last 3 business days (left a message), with no return phone call.

Does anyone have the 2015 rule book? If so, how’d you get it.

Also, can someone confirm if the Dart Kart Club switched from WKA to AKRA?

Thanks!
    Kelby

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication