Home Forums General Karting Discussion Air tank from Home Depot

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Aaron Hachmeister 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

William Weiler
    Participant

For people who have bought these for when there isn’t access to a compressor at the track, do they have enough pressure to mount a tire?

TonyKart 401s LO206
    Masters Class
    Morgan Hill, CA

tony zambos
    Participant

I’ve got a 5 gallon tank from Sears that will hold 135 psi.  At a 110 psi, you should be able to mount a tire as long as it seals up against the rim the first try.

LAD Specialties / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Mike Clark
    Participant

I have had tires pop the beads very easily. I always clean the wheel and use a mounting lube. Getting enough air (flow) at once helps. I have a 10 gallon tank and it last a good while if things go right on mounting. For just topping off tires it last forever. If I find a leak I fix it.

The beginning of the year I had a pair of rear wheels that made popping the beads a task from hell. Almost nothing seemed like it helped. Just getting the tires on the wheel was really bad.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

I would hate to depend on a 3 gal tank to change a tire and I’d say maybe on a 5 gal tank. The good thing about karting is there are allot of people with compressors at the track that would let you fill your tank.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Aaron Hachmeister
    Participant

We have a little portable Ryobi battery powered air compressor we bring with us to every event. Set it to fill the tire to, say, 30 psi, and it’ll mount as many tires as the battery will last. It isn’t as fast as a super high pressure tank but you’ll never run out of air

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication