Home Forums General Karting Discussion Aftermarket brake question

This topic contains 14 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Curtis Cooksey 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Bryan Williams
    Participant

If I was to buy an after market brake system to replace my top kart master cylinder and calipers who’s better <span style=”color: #444444; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 21px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; background-color: #efefef;”>Righetti or mcp and anyone have any experience with either? I’m sure a brembo set up would be best but I’m not looking to spend 1200$ thanks.</span>

William Martin
    Participant

MCP master cylinder & Wilwood Caliper. You may need to make your own mounting bracket(s), but those parts will last approximately forever, compared to most anything you can get from Europe. The Euro guys have some nice calipers now, but still can’t seem to make a decent master cylinder, ie. one that is not designed to suck up dirt & fail “soon”. Oh, one problem with the Wilwood caliper: you may have to figure out how to get less rear brake…the rotor needs a lot of holes in it to reduce the available friction surface, or it will be “hair trigger” sensitive. At least that’s how mine worked out…

Bill

Bryan Williams
    Participant

Right now I am running a drilled and full float disk.  are these the correct ones?

<span style=”line-height: 1.5;”> </span>

<span style=”line-height: 1.5;”>So which one would you use. They all just seem to small. Am I not looking at the correct ones?</span>

Bryan Williams
    Participant

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Personally I would go with all MCP.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Bryan Williams
    Participant

I see mcp has the euro style or their reg style for master cylinder and calipers. Think one has a benefit over the other?

William Martin
    Participant

Right now I am running a drilled and full float disk. are these the correct ones? <span style=”line-height: 1.5;”> </span> <span style=”line-height: 1.5;”>So which one would you use. They all just seem to small. Am I not looking at the correct ones?</span>

Have a look at the rotor that Schockwave did for the Wilwood rear caliper, it isn’t really available any more, but illustrates what they had to do to get the friction down to where the brakes didn’t just instantly lock up with little pedal pressure. It was a solid rotor, about 3/8″ thick, with a bunch of holes drilled in it…not so much for cooling, I think!

About the seeming small: Do you mean the calipers at the Summit link? If so, it’s deceiving, that rear caliper is massive for a kart.

Bill

William Martin
    Participant

Don’t really know. My only criterion is that the piston shaft has a real dirt seal in front of it. The vented reservoir is also good with self-retracting pads in the caliper. I haven’t looked at the MCP caliper in years, is it a self adjusting style? If so, no problems with using that as far as I can tell. It will certainly be easier to build your brake system with parts from the same place… 🙂 I just like to do it the hard way I guess!

Bill

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Anytime you retrofit a brake system you have to consider the mounting bolt spacing, spacing for the rotor and interference from frame members. I would think the TopKart would use the euro system.

I like MCP because you can get them everywhere and they’re always gonna be around. I have the euro system on my Margay and the standard system on my Coyote and very happy with both.

Gif

Curtis Cooksey
    Participant

The new Righetti Ridolphi set-up is the best brake you can buy for this price. The only brake that is better in my opinion is probably the OEM CRG stuff.

Check it out: http://www.accelerationkarting.com/completerearbrakesystemma20.aspx

Bryan Williams
    Participant

The new Righetti Ridolphi set-up is the best brake you can buy for this price. The only brake that is better in my opinion is probably the OEM CRG stuff. Check it out: http://www.accelerationkarting.com/completerearbrakesystemma20.aspx

I have been eyeballing this set up. But I would still have to buy a rotor hub and come up with a mounting bracket and do not know if I want to spend 800$ on just breaks.

Curtis Cooksey
    Participant

Bryan, brakes are very important to lap times. These brakes will lower your lap times. Total price with the hub and mounting bracket is $725.18. How much would you pay your motor builder to make your motor faster?

Walt Gifford
    Participant

That RR system looks allot like CRG Ven05

Bryan Williams
    Participant

Bryan, brakes are very important to lap times. These brakes will lower your lap times. Total price with the hub and mounting bracket is $725.18. How much would you pay your motor builder to make your motor faster?

so very true.

Curtis Cooksey
    Participant

Bryan, here is a less expensive option: http://www.accelerationkarting.com/righettiracingcompleterearbrakesystem.aspx

I also have this exact system that is used. Since it has been used a few races we can sell it for about $150 less than a new system. If you are interested in the used system call Acceleration 1-888-466-5278 or email techsupport@accelerationkarting.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication