Home Forums Autocross / Solo 2 Advice for new go kart dad for SCCA autocross?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Craig Butt 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Paul SCCA AS #35
    Participant

Former stock autox guy getting back into it after a recent move. Pretty well versed in all the minutia related to Stock car class now called Street for the SCCA.

However, I’m a total noob when it comes to karts. Specifically, karts for my kids who I’d like to involve this time around.  I’m also not a mechanic.  I can do all the work needed for my stock class car, but that’s about it.  So adjusting jets, timing, clutches, etc is foreign to me.

I’ve narrowed my search down to a couple kid karts in my area and I’m ready to go take a look at them.  As my time is constrained, I’m looking for dependable, durable, low maintenance instead of top speed, high maintenance.  Obviously also looking for SCCA legality for FJC as it appears you can bend many rules in the world of WKA karting depending on location.

Any advice what to look for when I see these kid karts with ease, dependability, and SCCA legality in mind for a non mechanic type of dad?

Thanks!

Paul. AS #35.

transplanted to Chicago

Craig Butt
    Participant

Paul,
    It looks like FJC is the class of choice (5-7 year olds)- that makes it pretty simple:
    1) Be sure your region is approved to run FJC (just because they have FJA & FJB does not mean they are approved for FJC – probably are, but check)
    2) Your engine choice is a Comer 50/51 – basically a big weed eater motor, no mods, simple clutch with no adjustments. Keep fresh fuel in it mixed with good 2 cycle oil and maybe once a year take off the muffler and clean out any buildup.
    3) Maintenance – karts are basically trying to “disassemble themselves” whenever they are running – check all the nuts and bolts regularly
    4) Read the FJ rules. Be sure you have the legal tires (Cadet or MG Red). Be sure you have the safety cable on the brake linkage. Safety wire/safety clip critical hardware.

Based on the way the rules are written today – look for a Briggs World Formula when the kid(s) are ready to move up to FJB. You’ll want a new “full size” chassis then anyway. Talk to karters in the Solo community, these karts get handed down as kids grow out of them. We have a FJC kart in the region that’s on its 3rd or 4th local owner and it has had at least 6 kids grow through it into other classes. Good luck.

Scott Boito
    Participant

I’ll second what Craig said.  Comer 50 or 51 on a baby kart or a cadet-sized kart, depending on the size of your kid(s).  The Comer is indestructible and the worst thing you’ll really ever need to worry about is a grain of sand in the carb jet.  Well changing the clutch is worse, but you can get help for that.  The kart chassis rattles itself to pieces, so safety wire and nylock nuts are definitely your friend.  The axle gear is a spec size (89), so they can’t go much more than about 25 mph.

Paul SCCA AS #35
    Participant

quick question on tires. the rulebook states

For Junior C class: … Tire brand and compound is restricted to the MG Brand -HZ model or MG “Red”. Also, “Cadet” designated tires from any manufacturer are allowed.

My kid kart came with Bridgestone kart tires that were WKA compatible last year.  Does that mean they are allowed?  The tires don’t specifically say “Cadet” anywhere.  Or do I have to go buy MG tires?

Thanks!

Craig Butt
    Participant

Paul,
    As my friends in Texas say “the truth as it was told to me” is yes. As a kart steward when the MG’s became the “spec” tire, I inquired about grandfathering the Bridgestones for a year and was told no. I have heard of some regions not enforcing this – you might ask your local kart steward, but I was told it could affect insurance for the event….

Two suggestions. If you have to buy new, just buy the cadet tire – taller and thinner, but they will last forever – out local kid kart has been running on a set for many years. Option 2 – MG’s are the tire of choice for our local kart track – good used takeoffs are usually available for a song. In FJC it’s more about learning to drive, the tires aren’t a huge issue starting out.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.