Home Forums TaG A list of tag engines

This topic contains 16 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  jordan Washington 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

jordan Washington
    Participant

As I am looking for a engine for the new season. I am wondering what other engines are out their other then the X30 or Rotax.

Getting back into karting!

Bob Hall
    Participant

PRD Fireball is the least expensive. Parilla Leopard wins at the local track here in Lansing,MI.

jordan Washington
    Participant

The PRD isn’t something I’ll run. Its a spec class at my local track. But are there other motors out that people are trying or running

Jim Derrig
    Participant

jordan Washington
    Participant

nice I like this motor. Has anyone tried the new master tag engine?

Jim Derrig
    Participant

You mean “maxter” right?  Darned spell check.

Because I race at Italian Motors corporate track (SIMA), several of us have been beta testers.  As a piece of hardware it may be the best thing out there, and the reliability in testing has been outstanding (it’s a detuned and de-stressed KF4 motor).  Very strong: We’ll be racing it regionally this year and we’re starting out with a 25 pound weight penalty versus the Leopard and 10 versus the X-30 and Rotax EVO.  Personally, I don’t think these weights will stick, but it shows how much power the motor has.

The real question is how much market traction it will get since the big-time national series (read Rotax and SKUSA) will never allow it.

jordan Washington
    Participant

yes I would like to try the maxter engine and the TX engine. Does TM make a tag package? Also who will be selling the maxter line of engines in the states?

Jim Derrig
    Participant

Italian Motors is the X125 (Maxter) importer and, right now, the only seller as it is brand spanking new on the North American market.  So the link I gave you is how you buy it.  You can call them with questions–they’re pretty easy to talk to.

BTW, note that the price does not include an engine mount.  Not sure if the mounts for other TaG motors work, as I bought a new kart at the same time and the mount came as part of the overall package.

Don’t think TM makes a TaG package that is imported to North America.

James McMahon
    Participant

You can get a rough idea of the TAG motors from the past from the TAGUSA rulebook….

http://tagracing.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/2014_TAG_Rules-Final-2_14_14.pdf

Keep in mind that if you plan racing, your exact motor choices will be dictated by the chosen ruleset for your club or track

jordan Washington
    Participant

understand but since I’m a bigger guy I would like to run the Rok TT, Motori 7 or TM k9Es tag motor. I’m choosing these motors due to being 220lbs. I will be running at New castle in Indy mainly.

Jim Derrig
    Participant

The K9Es is a “tag shifter,” which basically means it is a shifter motor with electric start.  It is not particularly competitive versus other shifter motors and, since it has a 6-speed tranny, is not legal for straight TaG.   TM put it on the market about 7 years ago and it never really took off.

Confusing, I know.

jordan Washington
    Participant

Jim thank you very much for the information. I see as I look more and more into engines. I see that there is a engine war going on.  So why so many tag engines and choice’s? I feel as a new comer this can be hard to really understand.

TJ Koyen

The TaG engine war is all but over. Most series are now going to a spec-engine, single engine formula for simplicity’s sake.

Back when the TaG concept was formed, the Rotax Max engine was doing very well as an electric-start touch-and-go engine. Other manufacturers were hoping to capitalize on this formula and create their own version. TaG came from some folks saying, hey all these engines are similar, let’s group them and even out the performance by changing ballast and weight limits per engine and let them race together. Since none of these engines were built to the same spec, they all have very different powerbands, resulting in each engine excelling at different tracks. The Rotax, with it’s mid-range power would really smoke the other engines on a mid-range track that was very flowing with no tight corners or long straights. The Leopard had lots of bottom and top end so on a track like New Castle it drove away from the Rotax. This eventually ended up with everyone competing on a national level to have several engine types, one for every kind of track, which was pretty costly to the racers, who were getting a little fed up with it.

The cool thing about the class, at that time, was that it catered to so many different racers. Big guys could throw a powerful Sonik engine on and would have to make a 380 weight limit while us little guys could run Leopard at 365 and everyone races together. The bad part was that it was almost impossible to achieve parity across the engines through each event. It was to the point where the race schedule would dictate what engine you would run for the year, unless you could afford one of each engine.

Because of that, as well as engine companies handing out lucrative sponsorship packages to series, the major organizations have decided a single-engine formula is better for TaG, so you’ll find each major series is mostly now catering to one TaG engine package.

Driver/Coach/Wrench : Innovative Performance/Exprit
    Owner : Oktane Visual - www.oktanevisual.com
    www.facebook.com/oktanevisual
    www.instagram.com/oktanevisual

jordan Washington
    Participant

Ok so now I understand some what of what is happening or has happened. I am just a newbie with tag I am just looking to race and learn and then one day move up to a shifter. But mainly I will be running my local series here in the midwest. It is called OVKA

Jim Derrig
    Participant

As a newbie, you’re probably not going to be racing for P1.  It’s more important to show up with an engine that the local folks know about and have parts for, so you can get the help/advice you are going to need.  The (relatively) small differences between different TaG motors will not be the main source of any lack of speed relative to the front runners.  It will be skill and experience with basic things like threshold braking, correctly apexing, and just generally developing that mental database of how a kart is supposed to “feel” going through a given corner.

At 220lbs you are at a disadvantage, but I’ve seen 220 lb guys beat 165lb guys just with superior driving skill.  Once you’re at the pointy end of the stick in terms of that skill, then you can worry  about whether a Rotax EVO or an X125 is the better engine for you.

That said, at 220 lbs you’re probably not going find yourself on the podium at a national championship event.  I tell my other (larger) buds:  “Remember those guys in high school we used to push around on the football field and take to the hoop in basketball?  This sport is their revenge.”  All we can to is accept our fate, which is to have a bucket load of fun but no big trophies.

Gary Osterholt
    Participant

Jordan,

The first place to look is the OVKA website and check out the 2015 Rulebook, which was posted late last week.  The club runs off of WKA Rules.

Sonik was a great engine for bigger guys.  The issue the Sonik VX and TX is that both are pretty much dead.  Sonik was sold roughly 5 years ago to Maxter.  Maxter didn’t keep producing the engine or parts.

The main engine options you’ll have is Leopard, X30, Rok TT, Motori 7, Rotax, PRD.

The engine for a bigger guy would be either the Rok TT or Motori 7, which you should be able to find at reasonable prices due to the SKUSA not allowing these engines and WKA Man Cup going to Leopard or X30 only.

Gary Osterholt
    GO Designs, LLC
    http://www.godesigns.us

jordan Washington
    Participant

I know this thread is old but I really didn’t to make a new one and waste everyone’s time. With that said I have gotten my first kart, I got a birel and I have lost some weight. So the engine question comes up again. Now that the  national level has chosen its line up and I’m down to 195. I was thinking of going after a rotax max 125.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication