Home Forums Chassis & Handling A general statement about weight jacking.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Oscar Aguilera 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Paul Kish
    Participant

I’m curious to see if my statement will be accepted as generally true.  I’ll do my best not to reply and argue its validity.

Most all differences between Sprint karts which turn both left and right and LTO (left turn only) karts, relates to the use of weight jacking up front.

General Statement:  Sprint karts must use weight jacking to both lift the inside rear in a turn and control the removal and application of weight to the rear tires.  LTO karts only need to use weight jacking to control the removal and application of weight to the rear tires.

I realize this is a Sprint forum and if you do not race LTO karts, you probably don’t have a need to know the difference or care.   Being perfectly honest about it I’m asking looking and hoping for confirmation my thoughts are correct.  I also think there are many on here who just like to think about how stuff works, as I do and may enjoy answering.

Thanks and I hope I didn’t just waste your time reading my post.

Rob Kozakowski
    Participant

My comments on your general statement:

1.  I partially agree about what you say about sprint karts.  I’ll break your statement into 2 parts…

a) You certainly need “jacking” or weight transfer to help unload the inside rear.  Most any sprint kart should inherently have some ability to create some (enough?) “jacking” to get you around a corner, even if not entirely efficiently.  So I agree with this part – that you need jacking to “lift (unload might be more semantically correct) the inside rear”.

b) But, I don’t know that I’d quite say you use weight jacking to “control the removal of and application of weight to the rear tires”.  The “jacking” doesn’t really CONTROL anything, per se – it just ensures that the inside rear lifts or unloads.  What CONTROLS the amount and rate of lift / unloading are all of the numerous tuning factors (amount of camber, castor, toe, ackerman, frame, axle, hubs, wheels, etc…), in combination with the driver’s inputs.  The combo of tuning and driving is what dictates whether the “jacking” that is inherent in the design of the kart, is done efficiently and effectively or not.

2.  I won’t pretend to know much about LTO karts.  That said, I still don’t know that I’d agree with your choice of words when you say that the jacking CONTROLS things – just like a sprint kart, I’m inclined to say that the tuning and driver inputs are what CONTROL things.

Maybe it’s just semantics, but I don’t know how jacking “controls” anything.

Oscar Aguilera
    Participant

IMO there is no difference in turning only left or both left and right as to what needs to happen in a kart.

the rear inside wheel must lift…or unload (sometimes just skimming the ground is enough) in order to turn a kart with a solid live axle effectively…to maximize the speed through the corner.

as for the control….i agree that it can control it…but in a kart…the “jacking”  (front spindle) is not the only thing accomplishing the ability for the kart to turn…control it.

if that were the case….we would tune the whole kart with only one tuning input.

from racing on the dirt in a minisprint i have learned that the “timing” is the shock.  how quickly the left rear compresses and then how quickly…or slowly it rebounds.  more grip or a larger radius corner and the timing of the rebound must be slowed down.

in a kart you accomplish that with …axle…hubs…seat struts etc.

but in a LTO kart you preload…or unload the corners with the jacking adjustment…since you are only an LTO mode.  so maybe concentrating on that adjustment is the key in an Lto dirt …asphalt kart…i dont know…never raced a kart on the dirt or on an oval.

thats my take…lol

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.