Home Forums Shifter Karts 45mm axle gears

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Stephen Lamana 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

don howard
    Participant

Please help.  As you are cleaning out your toolboxes during this off-season, please keep your eye out for 45mm rear axle gears.  I just acquired a CRG Road Rebel with a 45mm axle and a CR125.  I don’t have the deep pockets to swap out to a 50mm so would greatly appreciate being able to buy rear gears suitable for road racing (19 – 24).  Thanks in advance!

russ Jolly
    Participant

didnt even know they mad a 45mm rear axle.

johnny brooks
    Participant

Margay used 1.75″ (44.45mm) axles in the past, but I don’t know if it was for shifter?

Are you sure it’s 45 and not 40 mm?

I’ve never seen a reference to a 45 mm axle gear in all my searches over the years.

don howard
    Participant

It is a 45mm axle.  Apparently it was a one year experiment by CRG, in transition from 40 to 50mm setups.  Kart is terrific, it’s just getting spare parts for the axle that is a challenge.  I’m hoping someone has a treasure trove of old 45mm stuff that’s sitting in a box under their workbench that they want to get rid of!

Chris Reinhardt
    Participant

The only guy on the planet that might have 45mm stuff is Eric at Seventh Gear Karting… He has some 45mm axles on ebay, he might still have some sprockets.
    If Eric doesn’t have a CRG part, you’re SOL!!!!

http://www.seventh-gear.com/store/contact.php

The only other option you have is to take a 40mm, bring it to a machine shop, and have them bore it to 45mm, you might not need the keyway rebroached either….

CR

don howard
    Participant

Thanks for the great suggestions, Chris.  I have ordered a 40mm gear from Eric (along with some 45mm gears he had) and will have it bored out.  If it works, my gearing problem is solved.  Now all I have to do is figure out how to do a standing start…..but that’s another thread.  Thanks again.

Chris Reinhardt
    Participant

Don, you’re welcome, good luck….

CR

Ben Matthew
    Participant

Well it wasn’t just for one year.  We are coincidentally rebuilding a 2000 CRG Heron that also has a 45MM rear.  I guess luckily for us the rear axle and components are some of the few things on it that are NOT all used up.  I will let you know if we do end up putting the 50mm rear in it.

Alan Sheidler
    Participant

Periodically some 45MM stuff finds its; way across the eBay offerings list.  If I were looking for that stuff I’d set up a “Followed Search” so that a notification hit my email every time a lister posted one.  Some years ago there was an entire new 45MM setup offered, including the axle, bearings, and a brake hub.  Have no recollection whether it was sold or not.  I went hunting and think I found the dealer: http://www.ebay.com/usr/itsonlymoney

Might be worth a shot to drop a note if any of that stuff is still around, but breath-holding is not advised.

James McMahon
    Participant

I wonder would it be worth having someone fab up a spacer/collar of some sort to use 50mm gears? Could be cheaper in the long run.

Stephen Lamana
    Participant

I have an old 03 Road Rebel with a 45mm axle, some special CRG steering dampener, and about 3 spare gears sitting in the back of my shop. Any one need a spare chassis? LOL

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.