Home Forums Road Racing 2014 KART Enduro National Championships @ HPT Oct. 3 – 5

This topic contains 75 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Linda Baldus 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 76 total)
  • Author

Kelly Read
    Participant

Joe,

On youtube.com, put in brad read in search bar and there is a video there from HPT 2013. Good video of the piston port race at least until a rock cracks his go pro lens.

Kelly Read
    Participant

REMINDER!!!!!

On the KART web (www.kart.org) is the revised event schedule and the revised local option class rules.

Event schedule: Added the Briggs LO206 class and each class sponsor. BE SURE TO THANK THESE SPONSORS as they are a major supporter of this event. Keep in mind, BALDUS RACING sponsors the class champions ball caps and they are REAL NICE!!!!!

Local option rules: Added Briggs LO206 rules. Be sure to read them carefully if you run this class or any of the local option classes.

FYI,

Per posted on the KART web site 9/10/2014 under news, the JICA SWIFT motor will not be allowed to participate at the 2014 nationals in the piston port class.

As for the KART PISTON PORT R&D CLASS:  I’m waiting to hear the final verdict (should know within a day or 2) from the directors as they are waiting on ones feedback but if it passes by what the other two said, these will be the rules for this class at HPT.  Comer P51 weight at 410#, HPV 4 or 5 pipe at minimum of 10″ flex length. Yamaha weight at 385#, any 1 3/4″ fixed pipe/ flex length. ALL OTHER piston port motors will run at 400# with any 1 3/4″ fixed pipe/any flex length.

NOTE: As questions are asked, I will post them here. As of now, here is what has been asked.

1) When can we get in: Thursday (2nd) starting at 5:00pm. REMINDER, lower level is full and I have a couple spots on top level reserved for sponsors. See me before you unhook.

2) Can we come and go: As long as you have a pit pass.

3) Fuel tech/available at track: K.A.R.T. uses the meter set at -75, cannot go positive AND, other tests deemed necessary!!!! Fuel is available at the track by credit card but they used to have one octane that didn’t pass our tech which I will be testing Thursday for verification.

4) Can we join K.A.R.T. at the track: YES. If you join at HPT, your membership will be good through 2015 including the 2015 nationals.

THE MAN

Chris Hegar
    Participant

What octane is available at the track?

Kelly Read
    Participant

Chris,

They have Sunoco 100 Unleaded, 110 and 112 Leaded.  The 100 is what I’m thinking would not pass in the past but I will be checking it that Thursday when we get there.

Sam Linhardt normally brings some VP 110. Need some. text me how much and I can make sure he brings plenty

PISTON PORT CLASS RULES: The board had a meeting and voted to run the above rules at the 2014 nationals.

Chris Hegar
    Participant

Sunoco will work just fine, thanks.

Mike Ray
    Participant

What time will gates open on Friday?

Linda Baldus
    Participant

Here’s a link to the entry form and schedule: http://www.kart.org/Forms/2014_Oct_HPT.pdf

It says the gates open @ 7:00 on Friday.

Keep on kartin'. llb
    Raymore, MO
    lindabaldus@hotmail.com

Maysha Denny
    Participant

Please note the OFFICIAL rule and updates are posted on the KART website (www.kart.org).  Please refer to the website for OFFICIAL rules and updates.

Reason posting this is that Kelly stated above:

As for the KART PISTON PORT R&D CLASS:  I’m waiting to hear the final verdict (should know within a day or 2) from the directors as they are waiting on ones feedback but if it passes by what the other two said, these will be the rules for this class at HPT.  Comer P51 weight at 410#, HPV 4 or 5 pipe at minimum of 10″ flex length. Yamaha weight at 385#, any 1 3/4″ fixed pipe/ flex length. ALL OTHER piston port motors will run at 400# with any 1 3/4″ fixed pipe/any flex length.

THIS IS INCORRECT!!!!  This is the correct rule update for the Piston Port R&D Class (off the KART website)

<span id=”yui_3_16_0_1_1411065765197_2093″>On 9-16-2014 starting at 9:50 am and ending at 10:50 am a phone conference was held with Administrative Director Jim Edgington Road race Directors David Munden, Austin Henry and Ted Hite. The Piston Port class was the topic of discussion. A vote was taken to allow the K 71 to run a open fixed pipe at the weight of 400 lbs for the remainder of the 2014 season. Austin Henry abstained from the vote due to a conflict of interest. Jim Edgington voted in his place. The vote was two for and one against. Those voting for were Jim Edgington and Ted Hite, David Munden voted against. The vote passed.</span>

Kelly Read
    Participant

More questions:

1) How is the grid line-up determined ? By draw. Draw a number per class and line-up is determined from low – high number. Noon each day is the deadline to enter and draw. After noon, you go behind those who drew in the order you entered.

2) Are dual/4 wheel brakes required ? Above 100cc stock (A-limited – up for both sprint and laydown). The break teather is not mandatory at this time.

3) How do  the shifters start ?  Standing Formula 1 style start. We pre-grid them back a ways and start them and they pull down to the flagman. Once last kart stops, the flagman gives them all a signal then raises the flag. 10 secs later he drops the flag and first class leaves when multiple classes are running together. He does the same 10 sec flag for the remaining classes as well.

All other classes do the normal Lemans standing start.

4) Is practice split into groups ? Only if needed. This is determined of the amount of traffic. Has been done both ways. FYI, We will have 2 sessions Sat/Sun for Jrs. (8-11) and the Animals. Normally the first session is 1/2 way through practice and second one is at the end of practice. Friday will be the same but will give the Jrs. & Animals 4 sessions most likely.

5) Transponders available to rent ?  YES. $10.00 for the weekend.

6) Is there pump gas with no ethanol available ? Yes. There is a HY VEE located at 29th & Wannamaker which is on the N.W. side of Topeka where most of the motels and easting establishments are located. I have a co-worker looking for other stations and will post them what he finds out which will probably be Mon or Tues.

Kelly Read
    Participant

Here are a couple of things for food for thought.

1) I personally have purchased some very very nice items from one of our class sponsors to go as a silent auction to be given away Saturday nite at the awards/meal ceremony. I have 2- Hitch receiver locks, 2 – trailer wheel locks, 2 –  trailer locks and 1 – trailer door lock. These will be on display in registration along with bid sheets. If interested, put your name and what you want to bid on each items bid sheet. Top bidders get the item they bid the highest. GREAT NEWS is that, those who bid will receive a ticket for a special drawing!!!  The drawing will be for CASH!!!! Here is the deal, once the amount it cost to purchase these items have been meet, then that amount will be deducted from the total income and the remaining balance will be given to some lucky person who bid on any/all the items. Just for bidding and you are the lucky winner, you are guaranteed a minimum of $25.00 even if I have to pay it!!!!

2) It has been requested to have a “CALCUTTA” race. This is where people buy a particular racer in a particular class and if that racer wins, then the buyer wins the pot including what they bought in for. As of now, the 100cc Controlled I class on Saturday has been suggested. I will talk to people Thursday nite thru Friday morning to see if there is interest.

Joe Street
    Participant

New Preview video for Nationals. This is a video of the Heartland Park Track with detailed track review. Thanks to all who contributed video.

Kelly Read
    Participant

Joe,

As I told you on the PM, this is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A BIG THANKS from all of us from KART and MARRS!!!!!!!!!!  I owe you big time!!!!!!!!!!

Racers,

Another reason why all of us who road race are such a tight family!!!!!!!

Joe Street
    Participant

Here is the last of 3 videos previewing the upcoming Nationals. Again, thanks to all who allowed me to use their in-kart videos.

Kelly Read
    Participant

Questions/answers:

1) Can we get in after 10:00pm Thur ??  NO. We will not have anyone to be able to sell passes after 10pm. SORRY!!!! gates will open at 7:00am each day.

2) Concessions available  ?? Yes. They will be serving lunch all 3 days along with having a breakfast menu Sat/Sun.

In case you don’t know, Saturday after the races (Approximately 5:30), MARRS is hosting the awards ceremony for the Friday/Sat. classes and there will be plenty of good old BBQ and beverages (both non alcoholic and alcohol). We want EVERYONE to attend this as it’s not just for those who are receiving awards. Come have a good time!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, Lindsay (my daughter) who works in the HR department that owns the Carlos O Kelly’s in Topeka has set it up for us to come enjoy some good old Mexican food on Friday nite if you are interested. There is no special pricing that I am aware of but, she was able to get them to sponsor one of our classes  and several racers plan to go there around 7:00pm to show there support.  Everyone is invited. It’s easy to get to and Lindsay will be available to give anyone directions.

Kelly Read
    Participant

FYI,

If anyone needs a motel room, I have 1 -dbl available at the Super 8 which is right down the street from the track. If you want it, let me know by 6:00 today (Wednesday) and I will give it to the first person who contacts me. At 6:00, I will be calling to cancel it. Contact me at 316-218-3645.

Most likely this will be the last time I check this forum out before leaving tomorrow morning to head to HPT. You need something, contact me at the number above.

EVERYONE have a safe trip!!!!!!

THE MAN

Chris Hegar
    Participant

It is time.

Linda Baldus
    Participant

Another KART National Championships is history.
    So great to see old friends from the east and west, along with a lot of faces I didn’t recognize. They, along with a lot of hard-working folks, make our event the success it was.
    Thanks to all.
    (P.S. Those Hegar guys are FAST!)

Keep on kartin'. llb
    Raymore, MO
    lindabaldus@hotmail.com

Kelly Read
    Participant

A BIG THANX to EVERYONE who attended!!!!!!!! I can speak for all the KART/MARRS racers, officials when we say THANK YOU for all the kind comments for such a fine event let alone the Saturday nite festivities. And speaking of Saturday nite, the special award that was presented to myself was a major shock to me if you didn’t notice!!!!! THANK ALL OF YOU from the bottom of my heart who were involved.

Outside of mother nature on Friday morning which gave us a small delay, it was super weather the rest of the weekend. Even with rain Friday morning, we still had plenty of practice time by what racers told me. As for the races, SPECTACULAR!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL CHAMPIONS!!!! Several had finishes that where the main flagman had to call the finish.  It was a major disappointment that this event was not on Race-monitor.com as Maysha had IT issues and tried several times to get it fixed so we are sorry for that. That’s OK though because you had to be there to see the tight racing!!!!!!!

SUPER NEWS: NO RED FLAGS ALL WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU ALL for racing hard and clean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To the HEGAR family (Chris/Ryan): Next trip back you need to grow some hair and party with the REAL partiers!!!!!!!  LMAO.

B-STOCK group: See how we are, treat us right and we treat you right!!!!!!

Hope to see all who were there this year and more at next years event.

SINCERELY,

THE MAN

Lindsay Read
    Participant

Huge Thanks to everyone who came to support our National event! Dad has put in hours of hard work to make it the best possible! So thanks for making it all worth it!  And Thanks dad for doing it!

Chris and Ryan, what dad meant to say. . is get your act together so next time your here with us, your mother will let you out of the hotel for a little fun with the Midwest Cool Kids!  😀 Great meeting you guys! Can’t wait till next time! Thanks for making the trip!

David Cole
    Keymaster

Kelly, it’s Race-Monitor.com – all the cool kids are using it…HAHA

That looked like a big Stock Leopard field. Maybe we’ll have to make this an EKN Trackside Live stop next year. I wouldn’t mind stealing a Triad from the Hegar boys if they come back.

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor

Chris Hegar
    Participant

My momma says yall need to stop pickin on her baby boy.

Kelly Read
    Participant

David,

What are you smokn??? That’s what it says!!!!! As far as the leopard class, EXACTLY!!!! And they put on a great clean race. And as for the HEGAR boys, I held our boys back from winning until the final shifter race  so they would feel good. Now they have to come back and even bring there laydowns. LOL

Chris,

Linsday not pickn on Ryan (youngest)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! looked to me like mommy has to keep a eye on the oldest!!!!!!!!

Lindsay,

THANKS!!!! U and the rest of the family who live under our roof truly know what it took to make this event happen. I worked on this event so much that I forgot to get things done for my own Afton event until the week before it. WELL WORTH IT…………….

Linda Baldus
    Participant

Here’s a link to the Animal I race on Saturday from the eyes of Doug Kittelson, the eventual winner. It is so much fun, I can’t imagine that it wouldn’t get everyone’s heart pumping! Sure proves you don’t have to go that fast to have a blast.

Keep on kartin'. llb
    Raymore, MO
    lindabaldus@hotmail.com

Kelly Read
    Participant

FANTASTIC RACE!!!!! Had to be the most fun anyone could have.

1) See the hand signals when they were coming up on slower traffic?? Super sportsmanship by them all!!

2) Mike, we need to talk about spinning out!!  LOL

3) Doug, banging on the steering wheel coming to the checkered must have done it!!!  LOL

GREAT job all you ANIMAL racers!!!!

Craig Dori
    Participant

Results??

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication