Home Forums TaG 2008 Birel R32 rain setup

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jim Derrig 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

piotr
    Participant

I would like to ask you guys about a good rain setup for the Birel R32, because neither I, nor my mechanic have a clue.  We’re fairly competitive on dry, but way off on a wet track.  Should we set the ride height higher than normally?  How wide and stiff the back and the front of the kart should be?  What else needs to change?  Help, because if it rains again, it’s going to be a disaster :)

Steen Carstensen
    Participant

The way you set your chassis up for wet conditions, is pretty much the same for all brands. One off the best setup guides out there is the one from Arrow Karts http://www.racekarteng.com.

If you read that, you will have a much better understanding of what it takes to race in the rain. More often than not, you do not have the time to do all the changes, so what I do is widen the front, short hubs and narrow the rear, take off the seat struts, and I have a rubber mat about 1″ thick cut to fit the bottom of my seat which I sit on, that way I raise my centre of gravity.

TJ Koyen
    Participant

Curious why you remove seat stays Steen?

Minus the seat stay debate, I do the same as Steen, with the addition of max caster, increase toe out, loosening side pods and front bumper bolts, and change to soft axle.

The kart needs to flex and work and with no sidebite or grip in the rain, you need to let it be soft and willing to unload the inside rear.

The amount of rain will depend on how far you go on each of these adjustments.

Steen Carstensen
    Participant

TJ.

Taking off the seat struts loosens up the rear, which helps prevent understeer.

If time allows, i.e. heavy rain all day, I do a complete front end rain setup, which includes max chassis height, full caster, max ackerman, more toe out and full width as well. Basically tighten up the front, loosen up the rear with soft axle, remove seat struts, short hubs and aluminum wheels with rain tires.

TJ Koyen
    Participant

What I typically do is loosen the chassis seat stays and leave the chrome ones tight. My thought is that you want to transfer as much weight as possible and try and lean on the seat to plant the outside rear in the corner.

Steen Carstensen
    Participant

Good one, will try that the next time, a lot faster than removing seat struts.

Jim Derrig
    Participant

I’ve marked the 6 holes in my seat that I use for the rain set up, which involves moving the seat forward and to a far more upright position.   Because the holes are marked I can move it pretty quickly.  Forward because while rear grip is nice, if you can’t turn you aint’ going anywhere, and slow on exit beats straight off the track every time. :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.