Home Forums General Karting Discussion 2-stroke EFI: is it in the pipeline for karting?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  William Martin 2 days, 3 hours ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Spencer Uzri
    Participant

KTM & Husqvarna have overcome the technical hurdles, & are releasing 2-stroke EFI engine off road bikes this year.  A primary motivation for this evolution is that the engines must meet impending Euro 5 emissions regs.  Again, these models are marketed for off road use.

So, if Euro emissions laws apply to karting as well, does that mean that EFI is eventually coming?  I’ve heard that TM has a prototype in the lab, & there was a Modena EFI prototype displayed back in 2014, but it never came to market.

• This topic was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by  Spencer Uzri.

William Martin
    Participant

Don’t know, you can do it now if you want to spend the money. See: <http://www.ecotrons.com/products/2_stroke_small_engine_fuel_injection_kit/&gt;

Of course, unless it’s available to all as a bolt on kit, it’ll never see approval from any sanctioning body…

This is not a “clean” EFI either, doesn’t get rid of the intake/exhaust cross flow issue.

-bill

Spencer Uzri
    Participant

I’m aware of that kit, but it doesn’t meet the Euro4 mandate, which is the driving point of my question.  If emissions mandates will be applied to off (public) road vehicles, of which karts are a subset, then are true 2-stroke EFI (ie. case & transfer port injectors) engines inevitably in the future of karting?

William Martin
    Participant

Hmm, I sure hope politicians/regulators don’t start considering karts as “off-road vehicles”, as opposed to pure racing vehicles. Please don’t encourage that line of thought! 🙂 It could be very dangerous to the future of karting.

-bill

Matt Martin
    Participant

I think being afraid of change to modern solutions which are well-proven, and well-documented pose a threat to the future of most things – karting very much included.

Think about it, no more carbs with 3 jets, various needles, and knobs.  No more carb rebuilds.  That sounds wonderful!  More driving and less cost messing about and having to have $300 in carb-tuning equipment to be competitive.

William Martin
    Participant

Not about being afraid of change, just not wanting some bureaucrat dictating the terms. I would personally love to see a good fuel injection package for karts, but don’t think I want it designed by a lawyer. Cost IS a factor here, mass market emissions specs could well kill the whole thing.

-bill

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication