Home Forums General Karting Discussion 2-disk clutch vs 3-disk clutch

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  tony zambos 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Bob Spedding
    Participant

Was wondering what your thoughts are for running a 3-disk clutch for a Yamaha sr.y-pipe class?  I haven’t seen of any competitor running one but had a tuner tell me that’s what they use and recommend.

Any thoughts?

David Cole
    Keymaster

I was under the impression that 3-disc provided better performance, and maybe more longevity for the clutch.

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor

Bob Spedding
    Participant

Interesting.  David, any idea why most people I’ve seen run a 2-disk in our class? The guy I talked to said the 3disk was better at both performance and longevity. As you stated.

David Cole
    Keymaster

2-disk was designed for the lower horsepower Yamaha Can. The Yamaha Pipe has more horsepower, obviously. My guess as to why they run the 2-disc is because it is more readily available, or they use it when switching to Can. I would contact your engine builder to get their advice. My guess is horsepower related.

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor

tony zambos
    Participant

The 2-disk is OK for a jr canned Yamaha. For a Yamaha senior with a pipe, I’d go with a 3-disk, six spring. I know that’s more rotating mass, but I believe that it’s easier to adjust, will hold that adjustment and there will be fewer head aches.

LAD Specialties / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication