Home Forums General Karting Discussion 103rd st Track Jacksonville FL

This topic contains 17 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Phil Haddad 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Brian Degulis
    Participant

Can anyone fill me in on hours of operation for practice?  I understand it’s city owned and free to use I’m just not having any luck getting information about it and really don’t want to do a 4 hour drive for nothing. So any info from you guys that use it would be apreciated.

Brian

andy-graham
    Participant

that’s my home track.  Yes it is a city park, open sunrise to sunset everyday, closed on Christmas day I believe.  Its as simple as pull up, unload and drive.  There is a police officer that lives on site and restrooms.  The local club that races there finished their season last weekend, and dont start back up until after Christmas.

There is no on site marshaling or person in charge on regular days, its all self regulated and it works out pretty well.  I believe camping is allowed over nite but not exactly sure of that.  Its an old track with an old design from when karts didnt have the best brakes, hence all the banked turns.  YOu can PM me if you need anymore info….usually theres a few people there testing, but its the kinda place you can run into anything or anyone.  IF you need some more info, PM me your phone # and we can talk.

AG

Gary Osterholt
    Participant

Check out the local club website for the club.

http://www.flkarting.com/

Should have some info or someone to contact.

Brian Degulis
    Participant

OK thanks for the info.  Free Track!!!!  Kinda makes me want to move to Jacksonville!!!

Brian

jim lewis
    Participant

Brian,

Trust me you do not want to move to Jacksonville. Sorry Andy.

Brian Degulis
    Participant

We finally made it out there. Awesome track!!!!! 106 MPH with the 4 stroke shifter!!!!!

Brian

andy-graham
    Participant

your thoughts, Jim? ;-)

jim lewis
    Participant

Great track to visit, however, Brian would be bored as hell if he drove the track 3 times a month. The track is high speed for sure but boring as hell. He would grow tired of blowing thru 5 gallons of fuel in a few hours and not even getting tired from driving.

I look forward to seeing you and Mathew in Orlando and watching you on a real sprint track. Be careful 1st time out, the track throws a lot of technical and challenging sections at you real quick.  OKC is a real go kart track;)

Happy New Year Andy!

Kurt Mathewson
    Participant

Personally I think Jax is one of the most fun tracks to drive (at least in a shifter) in the country. With a 1000′ straight you come onto in 4th gear, hit nearly 100mph and then make a 3rd gear banked turn at the end of the straight its a blast! It may not be as fun in a low powered kart but I can’t say.

Kurt Mathewson

Brian Degulis
    Participant

Great track to visit, however, Brian would be bored as hell if he drove the track 3 times a month. The track is high speed for sure but boring as hell. He would grow tired of blowing thru 5 gallons of fuel in a few hours and not even getting tired from driving. I look forward to seeing you and Mathew in Orlando and watching you on a real sprint track. Be careful 1st time out, the track throws a lot of technical and challenging sections at you real quick. OKC is a real go kart track;) Happy New Year Andy!

Your Crazy. My home track is ARP wich makes OKC  feel like a leisurely Sunday drive. Seriously all tracks have they’re challenges but a 60HP shifter at Jacksonville is anything but boring in fact it’s better than sex!!!!!

Brian

jim lewis
    Participant

Yes ARP is a challenging track for sure, drove there once and my neck was sore for a week. Tough track for an old guy like myself.

Like you, I enjoyed 103rd the first few times there as well. But after a few months going there it gets pretty boring even in a shifter, just my opinion.

Great group of guys like Andy at 103rd though.

We are really fortunate in Florida to have so many great tracks to drive at. Florida has to have more tracks than any other state. I hope someday to make it to them all.

Better than sex? In my book sex is still UNDEFEATED! Karting is solid #2 though for sure.

Cheers!

Brian Degulis
    Participant

UNDEFEATED    10 years ago I’d be agreeing with you but at my age. Sure hope my wife never sees this.

Brian

jim lewis
    Participant

23 years for me and she still knows it’s undefeated. She sure gets mad at the mistress (kart racing) when she see’s how much money I spend on it.

Jim

andy-graham
    Participant

some people like going to the same place every time — thats fine…some like to venture out and try as many as possible — thats good too.  Bottom line is anywhere gets “boring” if you frequent it too often.  As a parent, 103rd particularly nice to have in town, easy on the wallet.  we can decide at the spur of the moment on a sunday afternoon to go make some laps, and, if someone breaks, well at least we didnt spend $100 for track time that we didnt get to use.

I’d like to see the City take a more active role in the maintenance of the track itsself, as it needs some work and its nearly impossible for the club to keep it in top shape with the budget constraints they have.  All that said, they do a good enough job with what they can do and the facility is very user friendly.

I watched the FKCS racing this past August at 103rd, particularly the shifter class.  The racing was great.  in the final, I got to see two of the best gearbox drivers in the country (Neri and Askew) battle it out at super high speeds with Nick showing the younger Askew “the move” in turn one on the last lap, had everyone on the edge of their seat.  Speed, horsepower, Balls and a drafting partner — thats what 103rd is all about from a racing point of view.

Used to be back in the 80s and 90s 103rd was a regular stop on all the big karting tours — STARS of Karting, SKUSA, WKA even the CIK World Finals were held there in `86.  I took my son to the Rolex last year and he had on a karting shirt.  There were a few drivers that asked him if he drove, when he told them he was a 103rd local, all of them lit up and talked about racing there in years past.  Best story Ive heard was Danika going thru turn one (end of the 1000′ straight) on the gas, never lifted, lost control and literally launched off the top  of turn one, flew about 40′ through the air, landed and kept going towards the road, the only thing that stopped her was the fence caught her steering wheel as she was going under it.  I’ve seen and done similar, but not that crazy…

Another great 103rd story is the legend of Scott $peed…it was either a SKUSA or STARS race, and he was turning sub :30 lap times.  Thats the track record that has never been even approached, he was driving a heavily modifyed CR125, more like an RS125 his brother says.  Just for reference, Neri and Askew were turning 32s in the stock moto final of the FKCS….

All that pom pom shaking for the place and we havent been out there in months.   Just got the kid a new chassis and went in on a lease at OKC so hopefully we’ll be inspired to go get some more track time soon…

Joe Ricard
    Participant

You know I think I would like to get over to 103 rd st  some time.   Having the good fortune of racing at the NOLA track has some perks because they can do 19 different configurations so I never see the same track twice in a row.  More like twice per season maybe.

However I think I would enjoy the low key atmosphere that Andy enjoys.    Heck it’s only a 7 hour drive…………………….. one way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian Degulis
    Participant

Make it a tour Joe. You could do Ocala 103rd and Orlando all are great tracks for diffrent reasons.

I can honestly say I’ve never been bored at any track regardles of how many times I visit. Wether it’s the intensity of racing or a busy track day or if I’m the only one there I like it all. I stay interested because I know you can always do better. Wether it’s tuning the engine the chassis or finding the perfect line you can always get more. It also gives me the opourtunity to spend more time with my kids than anyone else I know. If it were easy I would have walked away from the whole sport by now.

Brian

andy-graham
    Participant

Awesome  Joe, ya’ll come on!  I heard there’s a track similar to 103rd in Jackson, MS, city owned and free to the public.  Brian you left out Monticello, that’s the one I really want to check out.  I saw FKCS is running there the first week of March, too bad because I’m pretty sure that’s the end of bike week and the Speedway races are the same days….doh!

Phil Haddad
    Participant

Gonna dredge this up. I’m planning on going to the club race here on May 10. Does anyone have any contact info for someone in the club up there? I’m trying to get some info before I make the 4 hour drive as well. Mainly, curious how many shifters are usually there at a club race (turnout from their results pages looked pretty poor), and what the fuel situation is (any fuel onsite?) – also what time the gates open etc. I’m bringing my dad who’s never been to a race (we’re going to some golf tournament the next day in Ponte Verde, so I figured it’d be a good chance to try out a new track).

Also, anyone have any hints on starting gearing for a CR125 at this place? The website says they are running reverse full course with the chicane.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.