Home Forums Road Racing NEW HORSTMAN AXLE CLUTCH Reply To: NEW HORSTMAN AXLE CLUTCH

Kelly Read
Participant

We tested the clutch this past weekend at LAKE AFTON for the last time.

RESULTS: NO CHANGE!! It worked flawlessly the entire weekend.

Questions/answers:

1) Is it faster? NO. The past 2 races I had Lindsay set up for the WIN and she battled for the lead. Did she win, NO. Could she, ??. Even if she would have, it would have been close!! Just an FYI, she pulls in at the end to not interfere with the others who are in the points. Even Lindsay can’t say if she would have won.

2) What about maintenance? With 4 races along with several hours of practice, all I have done is changed the oil and measured the springs.

3) What advantage does it have over a engine clutch? 1) Can’t cheat!! What I mean by that is that those who spray there friction hub to help the clutch slip off the line to get a jump on the others, that is cheating in my mind. 2) Being experienced with the engine clutch, I spent a lot of time on friction hubs & drums being sure that the drum is perfectly round as possible and the linings on the friction hubs were tru to the drum. Plus, let alone spending several hundred dollars keeping fresh clutches. It doesn’t take much especially if you are new to the tag classes with destroying your engine clutch. 3) BIG and ONLY advantage I see is, COST!!