Home Forums General Karting Discussion Trail Brake and Throttle Reply To: Trail Brake and Throttle

Troy Berry
Participant

Gary Lawson is def the king of 4 cycle’s and his advise if golden! I have to ask because inquiring minds want to know. We have found with our Lo206 on our home track in Reno that there are a couple of spots where keeping the gas on full with a quick tap of the brakes to set up the corner seems to help. We really only have 3 braking zones on our longer layouts.  On some of the corners it seems that getting off the gas  takes the momentum out of the motor more than if we don’t. I don’t have any experience with other tracks with this kart, so maybe it’s just because of our particular track conditions. Now when we run the short track, it doesn’t work because we have some slower speed  tighter corners that require a lift off the throttle.  So I guess what I am asking is can there be exceptions to any technique? Of course I am NOT talking about trail braking in the corner, in a 4 cycle that is the kiss of death. Most braking must be finished by turn in is the general rule on a 4 cycle. It was different in my Tag, as trail braking was helpful at times with higher horsepower in higher speed sweepers. Or maybe it was just my bad technique? I do realized being on the gas and brakes at the same time builds  some heat throughout the drive train.  At the same time keeping the RPM’s up helps to get off the corner better. Karting is so cool, such a mix of Art and Science!

"The Art is in the details"
BirelArt AM29 LO206
Intrepid Cruiser LO 206

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication