Home Forums General Karting Discussion First Kart Reply To: First Kart

Rob Howden
Keymaster

At your height and weight you won’t have to worry about chassis tuning. You just slam all the settings to make it as loose as you can and it will still be too tight with snap oversteer. You’ll be 25 lbs over weight for the heavy class which will hurt you on the short track and your height will be like an aero brake on the long track. Your vertical center of gravity will make you feel like an elephant on a roller skate and if someone taps you, you can easily go into a bone breaking flip. I’ve seen big and tall guys flip without hitting anything when they put a wheel wrong. Best bet, don’t run the spec tire, super hard tires first season, sliding is good grip will flip. I’m big and tall too but I get by with 40+ years of driving skill and I’m a jet mechanic so my equipment prep is excellent. Even so it’s extremely hard to win a race or run with the leaders (dangerous) unless there are special circumstances. I keep doing it (even though it beats me up physically) because it’s just so much dang fun and the people are great. If you’re ready for that reality welcome to karting.

Gif

LOL – easy there, Walt. I think you’re way off the mark here. Did you mis-read his height?

When he gets to 200 lbs, William will be essentially the same weight (195) and height (5’9″) as I am, and he’ll fit easily in a kart and could be very close on weight for the LO206 Senior class at Monterey, which is 360#. I don’t know where you get the idea that he’s in any danger of a flip because of his stature and measurements. If he keeps up with his workouts, he’ll be right on weight by mid-season.

William, keep up with your workouts and dropping the weight, but as you do it, you’ll be fine. There are a ton of guys over 200# running LO206 and the kart handles fine. You’ll definitely need to tune the chassis. And, center of gravity has more to do with the length of your in-seam, which will determine how low you can get in the kart with an adjusted seat position. I have a 29′ in-seam, so my legs are often straight. If you’re a little longer in the legs, you’ll be able to get lower than me, but I’m still good. See below:

Rob Howden - eKartingNews.com Publisher / Editor - @RobHowden

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication