Home Forums General Karting Discussion Lo206 in NJ Reply To: Lo206 in NJ

Anonymous

I can tell you that running a race with 3 guys can be a less than satisfying race. It only takes two to race, but unless they’re evenly matched it’s just two guys on the track at the same time, each essentially racing the clock.

And that’s the Catch-22. Can’t have racing without a bunch of guys but a bunch of guys aren’t about to start racing in a new, unknown class. Is this first year with three guys (if we can’t recruit anyone else) going to be thrilling, wheel banging racing? Maybe not. But we have to start somewhere.

I’m sorry to say this, but to be quite frank, I’m tired of standing around watching the classes with 3 guys racing. It’s not fun to watch classes that small. I’ll sit through it for the real young kids, because they’re the future of the sport, but the Sr classes with 3 karts need to be scratched. It’s more exciting to see two kids battle for tenth place with 15+ entries. There’s lots of skin in the game, lots of spectators, lots of action, and that’s what racing is all about, isn’t it?

I don’t mean to be rude, but we’re talking about club racing here right? How many people show up to a club race to spectate who aren’t racing themselves or family/friends of racers?

If you don’t want to watch, then don’t watch. It’s as simple as that. This class is intended to give a place for racers to race, if people want to watch that’s great but I don’t think the primary concern should be if people are watching or not.

We struggled with the “affordable” classes, KT100, PRD, in New Jersey too, but unfortunately there weren’t enough entries and we are making the switch to TAG in ’16. In this day and age it’s a sad fact, but it takes real money to go karting.

LO206 is intended to dispel the myth that it takes “real money” to go karting. Yes, its takes real money to run a TaG or a shifter in at a regional or national level. But this class is for people who aren’t interested in that, and just want to have good, close racing without breaking the bank. This attitude that “I’m not interested in a class that will fail because nobody is interested” makes no sense to me

Maybe this will be a flop and maybe you’ll see me driving a TaG in 2017. Who knows, but I think We at owe it to the guys running on a budget to at least try to make something happen.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication