Home Forums General Karting Discussion Why are karts so expensive? Reply To: Why are karts so expensive?

Dan Breuer
Participant

The ‘karting industry’ relies on its income from the racer, and it appears that the numbers have dwindled which makes it more expensive for those still in the sport. My take-work to attract more customers and the price goes down for all. Concession karting brings in a few, but I still believe the biggest ‘miss’ for karting is the appeal (or lack of ) to spectators. Shows are too long and they are not entertaining. Our local track has no place to sit and any fans that would show up feel like they are more of a burden, let alone the fact that the events run all day.

My daughter runs two totally different kinds of karts, a tag at the local sprint track while also running a ‘mini outlaw’ kart at a small dirt track. We will run the dirt track tonight, hot lap at 7:00, be at home in bed around 11:00. I have watched the track gain cars and fans- they will have around 400 people there tonight. We will race the sprint track in a couple of weeks, it will be an all day Saturday event. Not that it is bad, they do a great job and really try to give you as much time as possible for the money-but you can see the totally different mindset.

Bottom line, attract more people over all and the sport will grow…Spectators do become participants.