I’m still new to this, but my process has worked pretty well thus far:
1) Start the kart on the stand and let it get to full operating temperature before even going to grid.
2) Shutdown motor, move kart to grid
3) Depending on time between step 1 and when you’re about to go, maybe refire it again on the stand and let it run for 60 seconds.
4) Put kart on the ground, in neutral
5) When it’s time for me to move from grid to the start line, have someone push me 10-20 feet, and bump start it into first, and then drive to the start line.
6) For 2nd and 3rd runs in a heat, I don’t need any pre-warming, just bump start it when the time is right. I’m almost always running on the cool side anyways, so letting it idle a bit has normally been acceptable.
I am very tempted by the whole electric start idea, but my kart (and driver) is already overweight, and I already have engine::seat clearance issues.