Home Forums General Karting Discussion New to Kid Karts – Seeking Suggestions Reply To: New to Kid Karts – Seeking Suggestions

Dan Marr
Participant

This is our last year in Kid Karting and have already started the transition into Rookie. We have done it for 2 complete years and practiced the first year a few times.

Biggest thing for kid karters:

Everyone has FUN!

Things I would suggest to do with your child is get them tons of seat time. The more the better, the beginning is not time to worry about the kart or the engine. Walk the track with them and show them where they should be driving. I would buy a used kart to start them out, you don’t need to spend $3500 on a kart set up to get them started. If you can find a good used kart with a lighter parts that is a bonus. Don’t worry about the engine. You can find stock engines on ebay all winter long for $300 to $400. Your child will get faster the more seat time they get. With my son we post in the trailer his fastest lap. I always make sure to have spare parts for the kart with me. I am not talking about the high dollar stuff, but I make sure I have all the extra safety clips, spare bolts and things like that. Anyone that is willing to help you take the help.

Things I would not suggest; I would not go buy a fast engine and expect my son to be running up front. Unless the kart you buy comes with all the upgrades do not mess with upgrading the kart until your child is running fast times without them. Don’t get upset if your child is not progressing at the rate you think they should, kids get better at different rates and one day it will just hit.

There are very few kids that do that. If your child is one of them then it will be time to get a good blueprinted engine. One that has been proven is always better, you will pay a little more, but they are usually much faster.

Most important thing is still having fun

Dan

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication