Home Forums General Karting Discussion EKN Trackside: 2014 SKUSA SummerNationals – Modesto Grand Prix Reply To: EKN Trackside: 2014 SKUSA SummerNationals – Modesto Grand Prix

Roger Ruthhart
Participant

Let’s give credit to Tom and SKUSA for trying to pull off a first class event.

If anyone is thinking about doing a street race, please call me. I would be happy to share what we’ve learned the hard way. But one quick point — kart tracks are about 30 feet wide and streets are much wider. Set up a course within the street so there is runoff (about 8-10 feet) on both sides. It makes a world of difference. If your roads aren’t wide enough to do that, find another place.

Barriers need to be able to move – not against the curb. Oh, and don’t use water barriers — might as well have concrete road dividers, plus they can leak. And pedestrian bridges don’t work — we gave up on them 18 years ago. They narrow the track, little kids can fall on the steps and people can drop things onto the track during racing.

Since we’ve had some people ask, I point out that we have a much different track setup and barrier system at the Rock Island Grand Prix. Come race with us and help us celebrate our 20th anniversary.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication