--> ekartingnews

Home Forums General Karting Discussion "Brake, Insert Arc, Turn, Accelerate" Reply To: "Brake, Insert Arc, Turn, Accelerate"

Bernie Baldus
Participant

Hey Paul.

It sounds like everyone is arguing here, but more than likely everyone is in agreement.   That is the beauty.  A guy full of flaws can somehow win all the races.  Why?  Because he just drives.  Which means he drives the kart he has and the track he is on.  No 2 corners are identical but many corners are similar and the approach can be the same.  However, if the kart isn’t set up for it, then we have to adapt to make the kart work.

As for WoO sprint cars, it really isn’t entirely different, but if they were to let go of the steering going down the straight the car would go left into the infield, so it is different.

So, Drive the kart, drive the track, change the kart and drive the new kart and drive the track.  If the track changes, drive the new track and drive the kart.

Remember, some people don’t understand what they understand.  They just drive and do quite fine with that sometimes.  If a person needs to understand, that is fine too and in the long run that may get them farther.

We have to feel the kart on edge and drive it there.  Some do this better than others.  What you are talking about, if I am understanding you, might help you with the chassis setup.  Being able to break all this down can help with chassis setup.  And, IMO, getting a kart through the corner is always the same, whether 4 cycle oval kart, sprint circuit racing road racing, shifter or cadet etc… it all just happens faster or slower depending on the corner and the speed.  Some will certainly disagree with this, but that is my opinion.

Since I have been driving karts for almost 43 years, I thought this might help in your thought process.

I think about the kart in this way.  The weight on the tires rotates around the kart during a corner.  If you think of what happens to the kart when you scale it and turn the wheels you can see this.   And oddly enough, cross weights show up on scales whether they are for a kart or not.  Anyhow, I think of how the weights change as you turn the wheel and the order in which those changes happen.  This doesn’t necessarily make me a better driver but it could, and it could certainly make me look like a better driver if my kart is setup better than everyone elses.  I am going to oversimplify this, so no need for everyone to beat me up here.

Take a left hand corner.  The wheel turns left, weight on the left front increases (also on the left rear but ignore that for now because I am thinking in microseconds) the weights then rotate clockwise around the kart and as the kart turns the weight shifts to the right/outside front then clockwise around the right/outside rear then clockwise around to the inside rear (which is unloaded if the wheel is turned.) but is the last to load as the wheel straightens out!  The beauty of a kart is making all this happen correctly.  This also works for me to identify an issue with the kart.  By breaking it down this way, we can possibly see an issue in a certain part of the turn and therefore adjust the kart or the driving to compensate.

So, entering the left handed corner, you want to do your arc and the kart won’t turn in like it should, where is your problem?   You are turning into apex and the kart won’t turn, where is your problem?  You are mid corner and the kart is sliding, where is your problem?  You are coming off the Apex on the gas and the kart is sliding, where is the problem?  You are coming off the Apex and the driver in front of you yanks you off the corner, where is your problem?

If you are mid corner and off the gas and sliding, where is your problem?

The arc illustration link is probably a really fast line, particularly onto a long straight for a time trial, why?

Peace,

Bernie

ekartingnews