Home Forums General Karting Discussion EKN Trackside: SKUSA SpringNationals 2014 Reply To: EKN Trackside: SKUSA SpringNationals 2014

Stewart Willis
Participant

First of all, The SKUSA SpringNationals was an AMAZING spectacle!  I spent a year managing a much smaller regional series and I have the utmost respect for the crew that SKUSA has assembled to put on the race.  The variables that Tom K. and Terry B. have to deal with just blow my mind.  I could not imagine dealing with such a monster.  …and the SKUSA team does it extremely well.

Everyone should realize that ProTour is not a regional race series.  It is truly a “Nationals” or “international” level event.  Were there people that attended that probably should have worked on their development a bit more before taking on such a monster?  Absolutely.

I am torn over the lap traffic issue.   What happened in S4 is different than some of the other situations.  S4 drivers should have the wherewithal to obey any CLEAR signs from the corner workers, including black/blue flags.    My son races tag cadet.  I went there with the intention of winning the whole thing.  But, quickly I realized that we just did not have the speed or luck to make that happen.  There was a clear advantage to the older kids because of their physical strength, allowing them to manage the nasty rubber a bit more easily.   I am sure other parents or teams had the same hopes and dreams as I did as they made plans to attend the race.  But, truly, this was the deepest Tag Cadet field that I have ever seen.  I am sure that some of the back markers were local class champions at their respective clubs.  But, the ProTour is really  where the competition is as deep as you will find anywhere.  I am sure that as the demand to attend the race continues to grow, there will have to be some qualifying standards to attend.

All in all I am very happy that I went to the event.   Modesto Summernats is going to be OFF THE HOOK!!!

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication