Home Forums Autocross / Solo 2 New "Mod ICC" Proposal Reply To: New "Mod ICC" Proposal

Craig Butt
Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Craig Butt wrote:</div>
1) There are many of us who will NEVER make minimum weight in KM

2) This engine family is not growing, homologations are expiring, parts are getting more expensive and rare (for some older motors)

3) ICC motors are not winning anywhere

Hahahahaha,

1) Karting is not for big people, just a fact. I was 215lbs before this season, I am down to 185lbs now, just by eating right. So it is possible depending on how serious you are.

2) What?? KZ2&KZ2 is very popular across the pond. You have many new engines to chose from TM KZ10b, Maxter, Vortex, IAME, and more.<br>
How is this different than using a Mod Moto which was popular in the sprint world how many years ago?

3) I am shaking my head at this… Last year at nationals was my first nationals and I just got into karting. The first time I drove one was in April. Now the first day of nationals I was sitting in 11th place, which was the “lower HP” friendly course. The second day was a complete disaster for me due to a clutch failure. Basically I had a FM car, not to mention how hung over I was, which is my fault. I guarantee you if you put Paul Russell in a KZ kart he would still win. To say they are not winning because they have KZ engine is moronic.

Curious to see what a modified KZ can make power wise. Not sure if any more power than what a legal KZ can make is worth it in an autocross. The power band of the KZ engines are already narrow and peaky. Modding with out adding PI would make it even more narrow of a power band. Which is not what you want in an autocross.

I say NO to this.

WOW!
1) Congratulations on your weight loss. Now lets alienate anyone who cannot do that for whatever reason from the class…..
2) Older ICC motors are now out of homologation and have much less support. Many of these can be purchased at a reasonable cost and Solo II could be a great home for them. There has not been a great deal of growth if any in the US. From a cost effective standpoint, running out and buying the “latest & greatest” is not the best option for many folks. Solo II is supposed to be an “entry level” activity into SCCA.
3) I’m sure there are very talented people that can win with ICC – but why do you think they choose not to? Perhaps they realize they don’t need the handicap of running a less competitive package?

I too am curious – if it won’t help without PI – then we could add that into the rules package for Mod ICC. I think that letting these motors breathe and adding compression will be enough to let them mix it up in the class with some heavier drivers – without adding too much expense.

Speaking of moronic… it’s the attitude that giving folks an option to run something different to make a bigger fields and more competition is bad. After 35 years in this club it just amazes me how many folks want to keep competition out of their class (probably why we continue to have SO many classes). If I were “typical” of some of the rules making I would have asked for a “KM-Heavy” class and a “KM-Light” class, but I just want a bigger more inclusive class (it’s more fun)