Home Forums General Karting Discussion Man-Cup @ Daytona Reply To: Man-Cup @ Daytona

Dan Schlosser
Participant

I think it was very emblematic of the issues that WKA has to seriously address. The idea, right or wrong, that you have to run three classes per age group to get the desired track time is scaring away the racers that only run one class or maybe two. They are of the opinion they can’t compete with the high budget racers so they either stay home or grossly overextend themselves. Sometimes it is all I can do to convince people to NOT spend money. Seems counterproductive to my own short term cash flow but it is something I believe is imperative for the long term goal of keeping people in the sport.

The junior class adding TAG is the perfect example. The perception of many is that in order to maintain an equal amount of track time for the experience and tuning benefit you need to run all the classes. To do it somewhat properly you need:

3-4 Chassis & spares = $15-20,000

2 Parilla engines & spares = $7,500

2 Yamaha engines & spares = $6,000

2 Komet engines & spares = $5,000

Per event:

6 sets of dry tires = $1,200

3 sets of wet tires = $600

1 tuner/mechanic = $1200+

2 pit spaces minimum

larger trailer or pay to transport

The further the package gets from value for dollar spent, the more difficult it will become to maintain numbers let alone see growth. Generally speaking I’m content with the rules, the events, the race-day management, etc – so I’m not in the WKA bashing camp – but there are some very simple , very obvious decisions that need to be made to right the ship but no one is willing to rock the political boat to get it done.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication